Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Cannot get VS2010 to recognize ICC?

T_C
Beginner

Hi,

I installed everything via Parallel Studio XE 2013. When I open a VS2010 C++ project (either through the normal VS2010 shortcut or the Composer VS 2010 shortcut), if I right click the project, go to properties, then Configuration Properties, then General, under Platform Toolset I can only see "v100", "v90" and "Windows7.1SDK".

Could someone please advise how I can get the compiler working for new and existing C++ projects within VS2010 please?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Could someone please advise how I can get the compiler working for new and existing C++ projects within >>VS2010 please? What Edition of VS 2010 do you have? Please take into account that Parallel Studio XE 2013 ( and all previous versions ) can not be integrated with any Express Edition of Visual Studios. There is one exception: Intel Visual Fortran XE 2013 can be integrated with Shell Edition of Visual Studios but it is not applicable in your case since you're using C++ language.
0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

Hi, I have the fulll Professional edition. I also went into C:/Program Files x86/Intel/Composer and then I re-ran the setup file. It said "modify" in the wizard (auggesting Composer is definitely installed) and when I clicked "next" it illustrated ICC is definitely installed.

Are there some extra things I need to do to let VS2010 know about the compiler? All the VTune Amplifier shortcuts are visible in my VS2010.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>... I have the fulll Professional edition... Please check About of VS 2010 and if Intel C++ was integrated it has to be listed in a list box Installed products:. >>...Are there some extra things I need to do to let VS2010 know about the compiler? Yes. Open any Visual Studio C++ project -> Select a Root item in Solution Explorer -> Mouse Right click -> At the bottom of a Dialog select item 'Intel C++ Composer XE 2013' -> Then Select 'Use Intel C++...' and the project will be converted for compilation with Intel C++ compiler ( upgrade logs will be created ).
0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

Sergey Kostrov wrote:

>>... I have the fulll Professional edition...

Please check About of VS 2010 and if Intel C++ was integrated it has to be listed in a list box Installed products:.

>>...Are there some extra things I need to do to let VS2010 know about the compiler?

Yes. Open any Visual Studio C++ project -> Select a Root item in Solution Explorer -> Mouse Right click -> At the bottom of a Dialog select item 'Intel C++ Composer XE 2013' -> Then Select 'Use Intel C++...' and the project will be converted for compilation with Intel C++ compiler ( upgrade logs will be created ).

Sorry for the delay-

Re clicking "About", it says "Intel C++ Composer XE 2013 Package ID:w_ccompxe_2013.2.149". There is no mention of the word "compiler".

Re right-clicking root item in Solution Explorer. It says "Intel Composer XE 2013" towards the bottom and if I hover over it it says "Start Performance Guide".

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

when downloading the Intel C++ Composer XE pkg, did you download the "intel 64" pkg only? if so, this pkg contains the compiler and IDE integration for building intel 64 programs. 

The solution is to download and install the Intel C++ Composer XE for Windows for ia32 program. Then you can build any win32 program with Intel C++ compiler. 

Jennifer

0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

Jennifer J. (Intel) wrote:

when downloading the Intel C++ Composer XE pkg, did you download the "intel 64" pkg only? if so, this pkg contains the compiler and IDE integration for building intel 64 programs. 

The solution is to download and install the Intel C++ Composer XE for Windows for ia32 program. Then you can build any win32 program with Intel C++ compiler. 

Jennifer

Hi,

Yes- being a student I downloaded Intel C++ Studio xe 2013. I grabbed the 64 and 32 bit versions, but installed only the 64 bit. 

So should I go and execute the whole Parallel Studio 32 bit installer too? Is that all I need to do to get this working?

EDIT: I also installed the 64 bit on Linux and it seems to have integrated fine into Eclipse. Is this "32 bit" issue specific to Visual Studio/Windows, or will I have to install the 32-bit Parallel Studio on Linux too?

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...So should I go and execute the whole Parallel Studio 32 bit installer too? On my Windows XP ( 32-bit ) only 32-bit Intel C++ compiler is installed and it was integrated with Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition and properly configured. >>...Is that all I need to do to get this working? Please try and I think Jennifer's advise looks good and you need to prove it.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If you are running 64-bit Windows, which seems the best choice for most of us, the Intel64 compiler (called "Composer" by marketing for whatever reason) is a good choice.  With VS2010 and VS2012 there is no additional step to get 64-bit as well as 32-bit C++ support.

Windows XP64 went out of favor when Windows 7 came along, so I suppose most people who say they run XP mean the 32-bit one.

The current Intel "2013" compilers have discontinued support for VS2005 in accordance with the usual policy of supporting just 3 major VS versions.  Installing VS2005 on Windows Vista or 7 was a fairly lengthy multi-step process with multiple opportunities to go wrong and the undesirable requirement to "run as administrator."

0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

(To all those giving advice), not sure if I have confused people here so I will give my whole situation:

-I am running Windows 7 64-bit and Visual Studio 2010

-I downloaded the C++ Studio XE (http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-education-offerings) for Windows (and Linux), I grabbed both 64 and 32 bit versions.

-For Windows (and Linux) I installed the 64 bit version.

There is no separate Composer XE 2013 installer- therefore I don't think I can just go and install a 32 bit compiler. It seems odd to me that installing the 64 bit version of C++ Studio XE/Parallel Studio doesnt allow you to compile 32 bit in VS2010.

Based upon my full setup, could people please advise?

Thanks

0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

TimP (Intel) wrote:

If you are running 64-bit Windows, which seems the best choice for most of us, the Intel64 compiler (called "Composer" by marketing for whatever reason) is a good choice.  With VS2010 and VS2012 there is no additional step to get 64-bit as well as 32-bit C++ support.

Windows XP64 went out of favor when Windows 7 came along, so I suppose most people who say they run XP mean the 32-bit one.

The current Intel "2013" compilers have discontinued support for VS2005 in accordance with the usual policy of supporting just 3 major VS versions.  Installing VS2005 on Windows Vista or 7 was a fairly lengthy multi-step process with multiple opportunities to go wrong and the undesirable requirement to "run as administrator."

Hi Tim, from what you say with the 64 bit version of "C++ Studio XE" I should be able to compile 32-bit programs? If so, could you please advise me what else could be wrong? The installation was relatively simple and I just had to execute the one installer. After installation, Start -> Programs shows that I have installed Parallel Studio XE 2013.

Is there some path environment variable I could be missing?

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

No. the Intel-64 pkg contains only intel-64 compiler. 

If you want to build 32-bit program, please install the 32-bit pkg "w_ccompxe_ia32_2013.2.149.exe".

See this page with detail info. http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-composer-xe-2013-for-windows-update-2 

Jennifer 

0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

Jennifer J. (Intel) wrote:

No. the Intel-64 pkg contains only intel-64 compiler. 

If you want to build 32-bit program, please install the 32-bit pkg "w_ccompxe_ia32_2013.2.149.exe".

See this page with detail info. http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-composer-xe-2013-for-wi... 

Jennifer 

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for all this advice. I executed the whole installer (just as I did for 64, but for 32) and it worked :) 

Out of curiousity, what would running the 32 bit C++ XE 2013 installer have done to programs like VTune Amplifier? Did they also require the 32-bit version? I ask because I had no problems with it and I just wonder if I have now got 32 versions of all the Intel programs as well as 64 bit versions?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Amplifier should not be affected by your compiler installations.  If you have a 64-bit OS, the 64-bit Amplifier would be installed, and can analyze both 32- and 64-bit programs.

I'm not sure what you mean by compiling a 32-bit program with the 64-bit compiler.  If you have written portable C or C++ code, or even used a bunch of extensions correctly, you can make a 32-bit executable by using a 32-bit compiler, or a 64-bit executable by a 64-bit compiler. 

A less common meaning of 32-bit program is that you use only 32-bit data types (in the relatively rare case where you don't use any pointers), but if you do it in a portable way, you still can use either a 32- or 64-bit compiler.

0 Kudos
T_C
Beginner

TimP (Intel) wrote:

Amplifier should not be affected by your compiler installations.  If you have a 64-bit OS, the 64-bit Amplifier would be installed, and can analyze both 32- and 64-bit programs.

I'm not sure what you mean by compiling a 32-bit program with the 64-bit compiler.  If you have written portable C or C++ code, or even used a bunch of extensions correctly, you can make a 32-bit executable by using a 32-bit compiler, or a 64-bit executable by a 64-bit compiler. 

A less common meaning of 32-bit program is that you use only 32-bit data types (in the relatively rare case where you don't use any pointers), but if you do it in a portable way, you still can use either a 32- or 64-bit compiler.

What I mean is- there were 3 options for the C++ Studio XE 2013 download- 32-bit, 64bit and IA-64. I did not think for a minute that, having a 64 bit machine, I would have to install both the 32 and 64 bit installers, to compile 32 and 64 bit machines. I treated the download just like any other software- "I have a 64 bit machine so I will choose the 64 bit download". However, according to Jennifer (who must be right because it fixed the problem) you do not choose your download based upon what machine type you have, but what sized programs you wish to output. This wasn't too clear when I made my choice (luckilly I downloaded both anyway).

It appears to be working now though- when I right click a solution I have Composer and then "Use Intel". Thank you for the help- this is an excellent forum!

0 Kudos