Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7953 Discussions

Cannot invoke Intel C/C++ Compiler from Windows10 Subsystem Linux (WSL)

Dinithi_W_
Beginner

Please be kind enough  to refer this link first - https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/2608

I post this issue in Microsoft WSL github  too.
Please help on this matter. I only installed Intel C/C++ Compiler,MIC libs,TBB and GDB tools only. 
Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

This question has been brought up at least twice before on Intel C or Fortran forum.  At first, an Intel person answered that support for this was planned, but no further word has come out.  I'm doubtful myself.   WSL would need to support full facilities for running Intel's automated test suites.

0 Kudos
Dinithi_W_
Beginner

@Tim P , Could you give me any supportive link? .. also you meant we cannot run Intel Compiler suite in WSL environment?

0 Kudos
Buddhika_C_
Novice

I resolved this on Windows 10 1803 and WSL 18.04
Please look at following image sequence, hope it will help you.
First go through here too - https://github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/2608

select.PNG

bashrc.PNG

setPathandArgs.PNG

checking.PNG

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Interesting.  Intel must have added WSL support in a recent update.  As I couldn't find any release notes, the only way to find out is to try to install.  Maybe it's experimental.

I gave up on Win10 recently after a failed update required a total reinstallation. it wasn't worth the hassle to spend more time on updates than I spend using the old computer for anything other than listening to audio streams. Besides, when I did try to run tasks over a day long, WSL would crash more often than not, even though I updated it every time and ran a memory recover utility as required outside WSL.  The same benchmarks ran 100% reliably outside WSL (requiring the memory recovery utility only if browing internet at the same time).  I wondered whether Intel would be able to complete their testing (which normally requires a server version of Windows).

As I had to reinstall anyway I chose Win7 for which I had install media.  However, it turned out Microsoft had invalidated the Windows 7 license after 8 yesrs and so after a month a new Win7 installation is labeled Not Genuine and I may have to buy a new license.  An old Win7 installation continues to run OK as long as not reinstalled.  After failing to update correctly for 2 years, both the old and newly installed Win7 have no trouble with updates (unlike Win10).

Installing from the old CD now gives the option of installing Win10 but I don't know if it would still require purchasing a licence after a month.

0 Kudos