Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Comments on installing Intel C++ Compiler Professional 10.1 on Ubuntu 7.04

torrisa
Beginner

This post is to provide some feedback on my experience of installing the Intel C++ Compiler Professional 10.1 on a Ubuntu 7.04 system.

1. Make the Intel.com website work with more than just Internet explorer. The support sections are not viewable with Firefox 2.0 even though there is 'support' for Netscape.

2. The installation script, install.sh,on the CDs I received did not execute. I had to use a Windows system to download the same version as a tar.gz file on to a USB driver to install. Uncompressing the file and running install.sh got the installer to run.

3. The installation script works in that the software installs but I warnings about the test files it tried to compile. If it is installed successfully then there should be no compiler warnings.

4. The iccvars.sh should be added to the users or system bashrc file. While adding it manually is not hard it is not that difficult to add it to the installer.

5. While a web site is a nice way to convey information it is not conductive of quick conversation about a problem. How come there is no phone support for this software? Calling the general Intel tech support resulted in a tech support individual pointing me to the website. I expected more than this when purchasing this product.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JenniferJ

Thank you very much for your feedbacks.

Some of the issues are easy to address. I'll make sure they're in our tracker system and be fixed in the next major release.

Sincerely!

0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee
torrisa@auburn.edu:

1. Make the Intel.com website work with more than just Internet explorer. The support sections are not viewable with Firefox 2.0 even though there is 'support' for Netscape.

Thanks for your feedback, we do appreciate it. I was not able to reproduce the problem you noted with Firefox 2.0, however. I tried versions ranging from 2.0.0.8 to 2.0.0.13 on Linux, Mac and Windows and they all worked for me. I did see the problem you're describing with Firefox 1.5, but not with 2.0. I also had some problems with Safari 2.0.4, I'll look into that some more and see if it's still a problem with newer versions.

Can you double check your results with Firefox 2.0? Specifically I went to intel.com hovered on "Support & Downloads" and clicked on "Software Support". Perhaps I missed something?

Thanks!

Dale
0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

If I recall correctly from my admittedly short Linux background your issue #2 is actually related to the way Linux mounts CDs. Default permissions for CD filesystem are 0644. If you modify your /etc/fstab you will be able to mount the CD with executable permissions. Unfortunatelly, if my memory serves me it is a kind of an ON/OFF switch meaning that you get either all the files and folders with executable permissions (0755) or none of them. As far as I know you can't set different permission mask by file type. Unless of course CD actually uses Linux friendly filesystem.

0 Kudos
Peter_F_
Beginner
Hi All,

I have Ubuntu 7.10 64 version that runs on my Laptop Core 2 Duo. I'm about to start installing Intel's 10.1 complier on my Ubuntu. I just briefly looked into the release and installation notes. The question I have (if you don't mind) is: Does the Eclipse CDT gets installed with 10.1 so that I basically have the whole C++ and IDE installed...like say for example Visual C++ on Windows ? I managed to get 10.0 compiler

Thank You for your help!
0 Kudos
William_H_Intel3
Employee

Intel kits do not include the Eclipse platform or CDT framework bits. You need to obtain those from the eclipse.org website. Our kits for ia32 and ia-64 include an Intel compiler Eclipse integration feature. We do not currently support Intel64 in Eclipse. It is coming soon though.

Hope this helps...Bill Hilliard

0 Kudos