Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7957 Discussions

Compilation failed with application crash

lee_icc
Beginner
Hi,

I used C++ Composer XE 2011 update 6 with VS2010 on Windows 7 x64 platform. The compilation failed with the crash information "mcpcom.exe has stopped working" with the following details:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: mcpcom.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4e44b9af
Fault Module Name: StackHash_dd15
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000006fff03e8
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: dd15
Additional Information 2: dd152986fe395b5a883659aefed8eb71
Additional Information 3: af43
Additional Information 4: af43a00ee10606b603d5ffb3aac00165

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\\Windows\\system32\\en-US\\erofflps.txt
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The build log is as follows:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1>------ Build started: Project: test, Configuration: Release x64 ------
1> main.c
1>
1> compilation aborted for ..\\src\\main.c (code -1073741819)
1>C:\\Program Files (x86)\\MSBuild\\Microsoft.Cpp\\v4.0\\Platforms\\x64\\PlatformToolsets\\Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.1\\Microsoft.Cpp.x64.Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.1.targets(211,5): error MSB6006: "icl.exe" exited with code -1073741819.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, the compilation on Windows XP 32bit platform was successful.

Anyone have ideas on solving this problem?

Thanks,
Lee
0 Kudos
58 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Igor,

What aboutverification of the Visual Studio's global settings, etc:

'Tools' -> 'Projects and Solutions' ->'VC++ Directories'

Lee, I had a chance to look at your Test2 project settings and I have Not found anything suspicious.

So, I've asked myself what I would do in the situation like this? My answer is:

I would try to re-install thesoftware.
0 Kudos
lee_icc
Beginner
Hi Sergey,

As you recommended, I tried several times, and doubling the virtual memory did not helped. All the updates for VS2010 has been installed. There was no Dr. Watson application and Anti-Virus software installed in the system. When the crash happens, there was no obviously change in the Task Manager, and the Events Log reported an application error of mcpcom.exe as follows:

0 Kudos
lee_icc
Beginner
Hi Igor,

I updated the compiler to update 7 just now and the problem remained. According to your direction, I launched the command prompt. There was a error message 'ERROR: Cannot determine the location of the VS Common Tools folder.' and it failed to recognize the command 'devenv /UseEnv'.

So, I think that there is something missing in the PATH settings. Do you have some suggestions about fixing this issue?

PS. I installed the VS2010 under the 'E:\ProgramW7\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0' other than the default 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0'.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
can you try to build from a command window?

Start > All program > Intel Parallel Composer XE > Command Prompt > Parallel Studio XE for Intel C++.... > IA32 VS2010 mode

Then try:
icl /O2 /EHsc /MD main.cpp

Jennifer
0 Kudos
lee_icc
Beginner
Hi Sergey,

I checked the VS settings shown by you. It told that editing this option in Tools > Options has been deprecated and this option was added by default to all project.

Also, I checked the Project Property Pages, and found the settings.

It seems that the settings are OK.
0 Kudos
lee_icc
Beginner
Hi Jennifer,

The compilation in the command prompt of IA32 VS2010 mode failed due to the similar reasons as I mentioned in the post #23. However, the compilation in the VS2010 IDE under the Win32 platform was OK.

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

Lee,

Can you please:

1. Open a command prompt window
2. Type:

set vs

3. Tell me whether you get

a) VS100COMNTOOLS=

or:

b)Environment variable vs not defined

If you get b), can you please:

1. Right-click Computer->Properties
2. Click on Advanced System Settings
3. Click on Environment Variables...
4. Create new environment variable under System Variables as follows:

Variable Name: VS100COMNTOOLS
Variable Value: E:\ProgramW7\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Tools\

Afterwards, restart your computer and then try building a project.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Everybody,

...installed the VS2010 under the 'E:\ProgramW7\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0' other than the default 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0'...

Lee, I have a question about E drive. Is that a network drive?

In my previous post I suggested a last resort: Re-install the software ( to default location with un-install first).

Of course, it doesn't meanthat the problem will be resolved, but from my point of view something more crucial, like re-install, has to be done. I understand that it could be a time consuming procedure...

Also, just came to my mind. As far as I remember an installer in aVisual Studio allows to do Repair or something like this. Could you look at this?

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
lee_icc
Beginner
Igor,

The command 'set vs' get the result a) as follows:

C:\Users\lee>set vs
VS100COMNTOOLS=e:\ProgramW7\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Tools\
VS90COMNTOOLS=E:\ProgramW7\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools\

So, the environment variables looks like to be correct.
0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

Two more questions:

1. Do you also have Visual Studio 2008 installed and do you use it?
2. Can you please provide the output of set PATH command?

0 Kudos
lee_icc
Beginner
Yes, I installed and used the VS2008 for my work after the problem (mcpcom.exe application crash under VS2010) happened.

The set PATH command gave the information as follows:

C:\Users\lee>set PATH
PATH=E:\ProgramW7\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\redist\ia32\tbb\vc10;E:\ProgramW7\I
ntel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\redist\intel64\tbb\vc10;E:\ProgramW7\Intel\Composer XE
2011 SP1\redist\intel64\ipp;E:\ProgramW7\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\redist\ia32
\ipp;E:\ProgramW7\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\redist\intel64\mkl;E:\ProgramW7\Int
el\Composer XE 2011 SP1\redist\ia32\mkl;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Inte
l\Shared Libraries\redist\intel64\compiler;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\I
ntel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\compiler
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
0 Kudos
lee_icc
Beginner
Hi Sergey,

E drive is just a partition in the local drive.

I will try to repair the installation of VS2010.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
There is an error in the cmd window. From your posting on the env var "path", the env var "path" is not good.

It should contain the windows directories and some VS directories. See below for example. Do not copy/paste, need to update according to your env:

C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\syswow64;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;

C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Bluetooth Software\syswow64;c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DT

S\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET Web Pages\v1.0\

The directories to Intel compiler, just need to keep the latest version, the dir to the older versions can be removed.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
Lee,

Please try moving the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redis\intel64\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\compiler;

To the beginning of your PATH. Log off and back on after changing PATH, then try to recompile.

If that doesn't work, then I am out of ideas apart from full and clean reinstallation of Intel Compiler.

--

Jennifer,

Why does Intel Parallel Studio 2011 SP1 Update 7 have irml.dll and irml_debug.dll in two places and with two different versions?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\compiler\irml
irml.dll version 4.0.2011.0809
irml_debug.dll version 4.0.2011.0809

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Parallel Studio 2011\Composer SP1\redist\ia32\tbb\vc10\irml
irml.dll version 4.0.2011.1003
irml_debug.dll version 4.0.2011.1003

Isn't that something that should be avoided especially if both folders are listed in PATH?

Another question for you is why are the files in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Parallel Studio 2011\Composer SP1\redist\ia32\compiler

Duplicated at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\compiler

Why not just use the first copy (which is on the same path as IPP/TBB/MKL runtime) instead of installing a copy of the compiler runtime into Common Files?

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Lee,

I'm really sorry to hear that you still have a problem.So, Good Luck with Repair!

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
lee_icc
Beginner
Igor,

Changing the order of PATH did not helped. So, I will try to clean and reinstall the Intel Compiler.
0 Kudos
lee_icc
Beginner
Hi everybody,

I repaired the VS2010 and cleaned and reinstalled the Intel Compiler. Unfortunately, the problem remained.

I think that the problem might be due to some unknown bugs within the VS2010. Maybe the solution is waiting for the new updates and fixes for VS2010.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Best regards,
Lee
0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

Did you also repair your PATH as Jennifer suggested?

Your PATH is missing the following Windows 7 default entries:

%SystemRoot%\system32;
%SystemRoot%;
%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;
%SystemRoot%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;

They should be at the beginning, before all other items.

After repairing the PATH (and assuming that doesn't help), at this point I would try reinstalling VS2010 and, if you have a separate installation of Windows SDK, that too. I would install all that (including Intel Compiler) to a default location just to be sure.

My opinion is that there is something broken in your installation.

0 Kudos
lee_icc
Beginner
Yes. I repaired the PATH as you and Jennifer suggested, and it did not help.

I have no idea that why this problem happened to VS2010 while VS2008 works well with Intel Compiler. Both the VS2010 and VS2008 were installed under E:\ProgramW7 as well as the Intel Compiler. Maybe some component within VS2010 supported Intel Compiler not so well.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Lee,

Did you have a chance to contact Microsoft Support regarding an error MSB6006? If your product is fully licencedyou shouldn't have any problems.

If you decide to follow that path I recommend you to create a "master list" of all recomendations/attempts based on our posts. Microsoft's Support representative could ask you a lot of questions in order to understand your problem.

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
Lee,

I hacked a small diagnostic tool (source code attached). Please compile it using MSVC (console application), and replace your real ICL.EXE with the tool.

Afterwards you can try compiling the test2 project, and then attaching the resulting files that will be saved to your C: drive (ICL_ARG.TXT, ICL_CWD.TXT, and ICL_ENV.TXT).

Hopefully that will help us narrow down the problem.
0 Kudos