Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Compiler 11.1.038: internal linker error

mycroftholmes
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I just downloaded the trial version of compiler 11.1 for windows (038) and macosx (which is a different build, a bit higher, I think 058). The same sources (a portable c++ command line utility) compile and link fine in xcode 3.2, but do not link in intel compiler inside visual studio 2008 sp1 (visual studio itself has no problem instead):

I attach the build logs. Note that this is a debug build: if I leave all options as default, I get a linker internal error, followed by "error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation".

If I turn off the linker multi-file optimization, I get a different error (fatal error LNK1103), which anyway looks like a MICROSOFT error code.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Om_S_Intel
Employee

It seems the error is due to IPO. You may disable the IPO using /Qipo- compiler option. Could you try and let us know the result?
0 Kudos
mycroftholmes
Beginner

It seems the error is due to IPO. You may disable the IPO using /Qipo- compiler option. Could you try and let us know the result?

The option is /QNoipo. If you see the build logs I attached, one is with IPO on and the other is with IPO off.

The OS is Windows 2003 x64 and I'm building a x64 debug configuration.

I tried with a different project and I even get more devastating result: in 32-bit mode I get the linker error(s) reported above, but in x64 the compiler dies:

Compiling with Intel C++ 11.1.038 [Intel 64]... (Intel C++ Environment)
align.cpp
aligned_buffer.cpp
Catastrophic error: unable to obtain mapped memory (see pch_diag.txt)

compilation aborted for .aligned_buffer.cpp (code 4)

0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee

Is this still an issue with latest intel compiler? If so please attach the testcase to reproduce the issue.

Om

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
The Build 38 is too old and it is possible that in a latest Build 371 ( Update 12 ) for 2011 version of Intel C++ compiler it is fixed. >>...a different error (fatal error LNK1103), which anyway looks like a MICROSOFT error code... Here is a description from MSDN for the linker error: ... Debugging information corrupt; recompile module This error can be caused because the compilation was terminated before a valid object file was created. ... A Clean for the project before the Build should delete a corrupted file with Debug Information.
0 Kudos