Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Compiler 11.1.064 - installation problem in Suse 11.1 64 bits

plokiju
Beginner

I tried to install the 11.1.064 C++ compiler under suse in a 64-bit DELL Precision T3500.

I had the following error message, which, if ignored, results in a failed installation.

Step no: 4 of 7 | Installation configuration - Missing Optional Pre-requisite
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is one or more optional unresolved issues. It is highly recommended to fix
it all before you continue the installation. You can fix it without exiting from
the installation and re-check. Or you can quit from the installation, fix it and
run the installation again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Missing optional pre-requisite
-- cannot determine operating system type
-- system glibc or kernel version not supported or not detectable
-- binutils version not supported or not detectable

Additional info: libstdc++33, 41 and 43 installed for 64 and 32, including devel.

/usr/bin:

g++-4.3
gcc-3.3
gcc-4.3
gcc-4.1
gcc-4.3

g++ -print-search-dirs:

install: /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/
programs: =/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/:/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/
libraries: =/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/lib/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/lib/../lib64/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../lib64/:/lib/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/lib/../lib64/:/usr/lib/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/:/usr/lib/../lib64/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/lib/:/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../:/lib/:/usr/lib/

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If you have followed the suggestions in the posted files about installation for the linux of your choice, you will still have to accept an unsupported installation (continue in spite of the report of unrecognized components). The Intel 64 (64-bit compiler) has a better chance of working than the ia32 (32-bit) one in this scenario.

OpenSuSE 11.2 is likely to be difficult; earlier but recent versions should be OK.

0 Kudos
plokiju
Beginner

Thanks. I downloaded the Product for Intel 64 (l_cproc_p_11.1.064_intel64) to be installed in a dell precision t3500 64 bits with a dual core intel xenon.

I have binutils 2.19-9.3 installed. The version for tested distributions suggested in the installation guide is 2.17.50 or later, so it should be ok. Additionally, libstdc++.so.5 is linked to libstdc++.so.5.0.7.

Everything is according to the hints for OpenSUSE 11.1 and greater in:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-intel-compilers-on-opensuse/

including already installed gcc33, libstdc++33, libstdc++33-32bit.

I tried linking /usr/bin/gcc to both gcc-4.3 and gcc-3.3 but the result is the same: The installation gives those undeteced components and if I continue by skipping the missing optional pre-requsites all installations fail (the licenses directory withe the license file is the only thing created under /opt/intel/):

Installing Intel C++ Compiler for applications running on Intel 64
component...
Intel C++ Compiler for applications running on Intel 64 component
installation failed.
Installing Intel Debugger for applications running on Intel 64
component...
Intel Debugger for applications running on Intel 64 component
installation failed.
Installing Intel Math Kernel Library for applications running on Intel 64
component...
Intel Math Kernel Library for applications running on Intel 64 component
installation failed.
Installing Intel TBB for applications running on Intel 64 component...
Intel TBB for applications running on Intel 64 component installation
failed.
Installing Intel IPP for applications running on Intel 64 component...
Intel IPP for applications running on Intel 64 component installation
failed.

Is anything obvious that I may be missing?

Thanks

0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi

Verify yast2 utility if you have package compat & compat-libstd++ installed

Also make link or copy gcc-4..(your choice) and g++-4...(your choice) new short name gcc & g++ if not already existing.

kind regards
0 Kudos
plokiju
Beginner

Thanks. I already had g++ linked to g++-4.3 and gcc linked to gcc-4.3.

I did not had compat installed before. I installed it now but nothing changed. The same error.

But I can not find compat-libstdc++ when looking in the repositories via yast2. What I have in /usr/lib/ are:

libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so
libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2
libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3 -> libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 -> libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so
libstdc++.so.2.9 -> libstdc++.so.2.9.0
libstdc++.so.2.9.0
libstdc++.so.5 -> libstdc++.so.5.0.7
libstdc++.so.5.0.7
libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.10
libstdc++.so.6.0.10

Is anything missing? If so, where may I found it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I

Hi
I discover that compat libstd++ not found in last opensuse 11.2 (only compat package)
That i am certain is Icc work correctly with distro 11.0

I not have 11.1 but i see with 11.2 (32) if also problem with some package are less ? before answering you.
i have only AMD machine as free in my hand, i think is to add new problem......
Kind regards

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

libstdc++-33 are the SuSE names for what Red Hat calls libcompat.

You shouldn't have to symlink one of your gcc installations into another place. Simply set your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH so the one you want is active.

In case you didn't read my previous post, the Intel64 (64-bit) icc should work with no difficulty on OpenSuSE 11.1. 32-bit icc is more problematical. If you don't care to tell us what you are doing, we may as well stop now.

0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I

Yes is (partially) true in distro 11.2

libstdc++33 - The standard C++ shared library

/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7

0 Kudos
plokiju
Beginner
Yes, I read your posting. The only thing I did was to check if I had everything: gcc-4.3 is active. I have binutils 2.19-9.3 installed. Yast2 shows libstdc++33 41 and 43 installed, libstdc++.so.5 and 5.0.7 are there. If I skip the pre-requisites warnings:

the installation of every component fails.

Since it should work on Suse 11.1 I was wondering if I am failing to check something.
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I

Hi

Just continue without attention this stupid request

Since it should work on Suse 11.1 I was wondering if I am failing to check something.

Is only the install program Icc that are failing to check something correctly , is not you.

kind regards

0 Kudos
plokiju
Beginner

Just continue without attention this stupid request. Is only the install program Icc that are failing to check something correctly , is not you.

Yes, that is what I did first, but it did not work:

Installing Intel C++ Compiler for applications running on Intel 64
component...
Intel C++ Compiler for applications running on Intel 64 component
installation failed.
Installing Intel Debugger for applications running on Intel 64
component...
Intel Debugger for applications running on Intel 64 component
installation failed.
Installing Intel Math Kernel Library for applications running on Intel 64
component...
Intel Math Kernel Library for applications running on Intel 64 component
installation failed.
Installing Intel TBB for applications running on Intel 64 component...
Intel TBB for applications running on Intel 64 component installation
failed.
Installing Intel IPP for applications running on Intel 64 component...
Intel IPP for applications running on Intel 64 component installation
failed.

0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi
Yes, that is what I did first, but it did not work:
you have repeat an new install with new lib std5 ++ ?
or you just suppose that can result same false result ?.

without exactly an same configuration that you have is difficult certify
if problem existing with 11.1 .
I wait this week some Intel machine 64 quad core with i can make test
and answer you exactly.
Also you can test with previous Icc version or use OpenSuse 11.0 (is very well also)
execute in shell ldconfig
show also binutils packages (cross typed) can be required ???
Kind regards
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I

Hi

Remark: Is distro OpenSuse 11.2 64 bit and Icc work perfectly. (Intel processors)

The install is locked at an step with libstdc++.so.5 not find but this file are in /usr/lib64

for resolve i have copy ibstdc++.so.6.0.12 to libstdc++.so.5 in directory /usr/lib and install result ok.

linux-ugif:/usr/lib # cp libstdc++.so.6.0.12 libstdc++.so.5 (is just to dummy probably 32)

Compiler GNU

linux-ugif:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/bin/intel64 # g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-suse-linux
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --libdir=/usr/lib64 --libexecdir=/usr/lib64 --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,fortran,obj-c++,java,ada --enable-checking=release --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.4 --enable-ssp --disable-libssp --with-bugurl=http://bugs.opensuse.org/ --with-pkgversion='SUSE Linux' --disable-libgcj --disable-libmudflap --with-slibdir=/lib64 --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-libstdcxx-allocator=new --disable-libstdcxx-pch --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --program-suffix=-4.4 --enable-linux-futex --without-system-libunwind --with-arch-32=i586 --with-tune=generic --build=x86_64-suse-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.1 [gcc-4_4-branch revision 150839] (SUSE Linux)

ICC INTEL

linux-ugif:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/bin/intel64 # ./icc -V
Intel C Intel 64 Compiler Professional for applications running on Intel 64, Version 11.1 Build 20091130 Package ID: l_cproc_p_11.1.064
Copyright (C) 1985-2009 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Council: remove previous install and repeat an new step clear, must work i think.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
plokiju
Beginner

Hi bustaf. First, thanks for your patience.

Secondly, your suggestion about cp libstdc++.so.6.0.12 libstdc++.so.5 did not work ("something wrong with your activation module" it said, even before doing anything). I am on Suse 11.1, not 11.2.

However, the installation finally worked after I removed the /opt/intel/ directory. I previously thought that there would not have need for that, because nothing was installed (just the license file had been transferred, but no directory was created and no file was installed ... in fact, there was no way to "uninstall"). However, after installing again, not using the previous license (the same, but not the one stored in the /opt/intel/ directory) apparently it recongnized a previous change. As far as I remember, the only change that I had done was to install the compat package that was not previously installed, as you suggested.

Now, I'll try it to see if it works fine.

Of course, thanks a lot for your time.

PS: some additional info:

linux-k0f9:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/bin/intel64 # g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-suse-linux
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --libdir=/usr/lib64 --libexecdir=/usr/lib64 --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,fortran,obj-c++,java,ada --enable-checking=release --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.3 --enable-ssp --disable-libssp --with-bugurl=http://bugs.opensuse.org/ --with-pkgversion='SUSE Linux' --disable-libgcj --disable-libmudflap --with-slibdir=/lib64 --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-libstdcxx-allocator=new --disable-libstdcxx-pch --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs --program-suffix=-4.3 --enable-linux-futex --without-system-libunwind --with-cpu=generic --build=x86_64-suse-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.3.2 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291] (SUSE Linux)

linux-k0f9:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/064/bin/intel64 # ./icc -v
Version 11.1

0 Kudos