Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Compiler bug with Windows version 15.0.2.179 Build 20150121

James_Burgess
Beginner

Hi,

Trying to compile with 15.0 and Visual Studio 2010 I've come across something that  crashes the compiler with this message:

Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 15.0.2.179 Build 20150121
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

crash3.cpp
": internal error: ** The compiler has encountered an unexpected problem.
** Segmentation violation signal raised. **
Access violation or stack overflow. Please contact Intel Support for assistance.

compilation aborted for crash3.cpp (code 4)

The problem happens in a cmd.exe after running compilervars intel64 vs2010. Here's the code which I've tried to get it down to the absolute minimum. Removing any of the lines or constructs makes the problem go away: 

#include <string>

struct P
{
    std::string s;
    int i;
};

void
ppw(const char *w, P &pa) 
{
    if(!strcmp(w, "c") || !strcmp(w, "C"))
    {
        pa.i = 1;
    }
    else
    {
        int i;
        int len = strlen(w);
        for(i=0 ; i<len ; ++i)
        {
            if(w == ':')
            {
                pa.s = w;
                break;
            }
        }
    }
}

If you compile with icl -c crash3.cpp the compiler crashes. If you compile with icl -c -Qipo crash3.cpp it does not.

If you paste that code into a Visual Studio 2010 project and turn off ipo it also crashes.

If you run compilervars intel64 vs2012 then it compiles with or without -Qipo

Thanks,

-James

Addition details:

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 installed

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi James,

Thank you for the small test case.  I reproduced the problem with it.  And entered this issue to our problem-tracking database.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
James_Burgess
Beginner

Hi Feilong,

Thanks. This is a pretty critical issue for us as we are trying to get away from 12.1 and 14.0 and this is blocking us from doing that.

Also I have found that with vs2012 I have another example that crashes icc in the same way. Would providing an example for that help? Post to a different thread or this one?

Thank you,

- James

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Hi James, Engineering team sent me a note, saying that this issue has been fixed already. The upcoming compiler update will contain the fix. If error message is exactly same, please paste or upload the example in this thread. It is probably the same issue. Otherwise, please create a new thread. Thanks.
0 Kudos
James_Burgess
Beginner

Great news! I'm not really aware of how quickly compiler updates happen. Is this days, weeks or months away?

Regards,

James 

0 Kudos