Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

Compiler does not run from command line

hemalv
Beginner
I am trying to C++ compiler working from the command line - have given it the Windows 7 SDK directories, why it needs them I'm not sure, but the documentation says that is the only requirement for the compiler to run as a standalone tool (ie not tied to Visual Studio) - and it appears to install OK.

However the command environment is not set. Have tried to follow through the batch commands but it's a long winded and error prone activity. The SetEnv bat file does not seem to exist.

Can you help?
0 Kudos
12 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
A completed installation of the compiler will put a shortcut on your start menu which opens a cmd window and runs the required .bat files to set the environment. The properties of the shortcut will show you which .bat file it is. If that is missing, repairing the installation (e.g. from add/remove menu) should correct it. There is also an option (not recommended) to add all the ICL paths to your global Windows environment settings.
0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee
Quoting - tim18
A completed installation of the compiler will put a shortcut on your start menu which opens a cmd window and runs the required .bat files to set the environment.

Specifically, All Programs->Intel Software Development Toools->Intel C++ Compiler ->C++ Build environment for Applications running on will pop up a command shell window with everything set to use the compiler.

Dale
0 Kudos
hemalv
Beginner

Thanks for advice. However this is what is stated in the documentation. It reports exactly as you say ie that the SetEnv Batch file is not recognised. A re-install does not cure this.

It is the download for evaluation that I am using. Despite an earlier patch to enable the compiler to run under W7, I wpuld like to know if anyone could confirm that the evaluation copy will in fact set up correctly without VS.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee
Quoting - hemalv

Thanks for advice. However this is what is stated in the documentation. It reports exactly as you say ie that the SetEnv Batch file is not recognised. A re-install does not cure this.

It is the download for evaluation that I am using. Despite an earlier patch to enable the compiler to run under W7, I wpuld like to know if anyone could confirm that the evaluation copy will in fact set up correctly without VS.

Thanks

I'm sorry, I may have missed part of your original question. Are you trying to install the Intel C/C++ compiler without installing MSVS? I don't think that will work. It's not that we need the gui, but as you saw we depend on many MS libs and header files.

Dale

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
VS Express could be sufficient for 32-bit ICL command line operation only, possibly no debugging.
0 Kudos
hemalv
Beginner

I'm sorry, I may have missed part of your original question. Are you trying to install the Intel C/C++ compiler without installing MSVS? I don't think that will work. It's not that we need the gui, but as you saw we depend on many MS libs and header files.

Dale

Dale/Tim

Yes - exactly. I am trying to establish/prove a development set-up for future use. To that end I have VS2010 which I know will not integrate yet with the Intel Compiler (or vice-versa!).

However, I was advised that the Compiler could operate independently of MSVS from the command line. The Intel documentation seems to support that advice.

The Installation procedure requires the SDK directories, so I assumed that any neccessary headers etc were being picked up from there.

There appear to be some advantages (for what I want) to using the Intel compiler - despite targetting mainly managed code.

It would be nice to be able to prove things out before making significant investment (both time and financial), but perhaps, as you say, it won't work.

Many Thanks

Terry
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The cmd environment setup is done by the iclvars.bat script in the ICL installation. This includes a call to the .bat which is used in the corresponding VC cmd environment, so as to include the VC include and lib paths. You could edit that call into the icl .bat. It may also be necessary to add the VS linker path in icl.cfg, if you get to the link stage and ICL doesn't find it. I can't guess how far you will be able to go with this, given major differences between VS2008 and 2010. A new major version of ICL would be required after VS2010 release to take care of the details.
0 Kudos
hemalv
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
The cmd environment setup is done by the iclvars.bat script in the ICL installation. This includes a call to the .bat which is used in the corresponding VC cmd environment, so as to include the VC include and lib paths. You could edit that call into the icl .bat. It may also be necessary to add the VS linker path in icl.cfg, if you get to the link stage and ICL doesn't find it. I can't guess how far you will be able to go with this, given major differences between VS2008 and 2010. A new major version of ICL would be required after VS2010 release to take care of the details.

Many thanks - I'll give it a try

Terry
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting - hemalv
Many thanks - I'll give it a try

Terry

Hi Terry,

Both Dale and Tim are correct with how our build environment is set up.
Calling the SDK .bat is to set the env's INCLUDE/PATH/LIB to also include SDK's dir while icl's dir is set in front. The reason for it is that our compiler is depending on the header files/libs/linker provided with VC or SDK.

The SDK is usually compatible with only one of the VC version (2003, 2005, 2008, 2010). The icl only supports the SDK tested and the SDK supported is documented in ReleaseNotes. Right now the 11.1's icl only supports "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5*". It does not support the SDK for Windows 7 yet. We have a feature request to support it, but it will come sometime in the future.

You can change the iclvars.bat to call the Windows 7 SDK .bat and your code may work. But some other code may not work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
hemalv
Beginner

Hi Terry,

Both Dale and Tim are correct with how our build environment is set up.
Calling the SDK .bat is to set the env's INCLUDE/PATH/LIB to also include SDK's dir while icl's dir is set in front. The reason for it is that our compiler is depending on the header files/libs/linker provided with VC or SDK.

The SDK is usually compatible with only one of the VC version (2003, 2005, 2008, 2010). The icl only supports the SDK tested and the SDK supported is documented in ReleaseNotes. Right now the 11.1's icl only supports "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5*". It does not support the SDK for Windows 7 yet. We have a feature request to support it, but it will come sometime in the future.

You can change the iclvars.bat to call the Windows 7 SDK .bat and your code may work. But some other code may not work.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer

Many thanks (to all) for the clarification. I had not fully appreciated the required degree of dependence on the SDK version.

I had hoped to be able to test the efficacy of certain aspects of my proposed development configuration before my evaluation period runs out.

If thisproves not possible I'll have to wait until Windows 7 SDK support is released.

Thanks again

Terry
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting - hemalv
I had hoped to be able to test the efficacy of certain aspects of my proposed development configuration before my evaluation period runs out.
Terry,
This is understanable.

We offer one convinient feature about the eval. You can get two evals per email addr. And you can also ask for extension in case you need more time.

Please check our release notes to find out if the Windows 7 SDK is supported. Dale/I will try to remember to post a news here as well.

Thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
hemalv
Beginner
Terry,
This is understanable.

We offer one convinient feature about the eval. You can get two evals per email addr. And you can also ask for extension in case you need more time.

Please check our release notes to find out if the Windows 7 SDK is supported. Dale/I will try to remember to post a news here as well.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer

Terry
0 Kudos