Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Compiler hangs during static link

jcoffland
Beginner
I've run into a problem with the Intel compiler while trying to statically link an application. I'm using 11.1 20101201 in Linux.

The compiler chews up 100% CPU and memory usage slowly rises. I've left it for some time and hasn't completed. The weird thing is that if I either link dynamically or swap out the main object file with its source file in the command line it builds and links very quickly.

Stranger still if I link with only the object file and drop all the libraries that it needs the compiler still hangs. It seems to be occurring before trying to resolve the external symbols, but that is just speculation. The good thing about this is that the error is easily demonstrable out me having to upload all of the dependent libraries.

The following command is sufficient to reproduce the bug:

icpc -static testcore.o

I've attached testcore.o
0 Kudos
3 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
I could not download the attachment -- the link took me to a "not found" message page. Please check that the file exists in your directory on the Intel server.
0 Kudos
jcoffland
Beginner
The Web site seems to not like .o files. I tried reuploading but it only worked up after I zipped the file.
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Yes, I see the problem with compiler version 11.1.073 on Suse 11.4, but it seems to have been fixed later and does not occur with compiler version 12.0.4:

~/LANG> time icpc -static testcore.o

<-- CUT numerous "undefined reference to" messages -->

real 0m0.36
user 0m0.256s
sys 0m0.102s

I hope that you can update your ICPC installation to the current version.
0 Kudos