Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

Compiler options to generate assembler listing with C++ code (/FA [ specifier ] does not work)

_Thomas_
Novice

Hi,

I am trying out SDLT and would like to have a look at the generated assemble code. My experience with performance measurements is that the compiler can optimize code away so that performance comparisons become meaningless. I tried several compiler options and asked Google but there is obviously something I don't understand.

The .asm file is generated with the /FA option:

icx /Qiopenmp /FA /Faoutput.asm /Zi /arch:CORE-AVX2 -O1 -Werror /S Cpp_Intel_SDLT.cpp

My problem is that the generated .asm file is very difficult to read (at least for me) and there seems to be an option to add C++ source code /FA[specifier].  (https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/oneapi-dpcpp-cpp-compiler-dev-guide-and-reference/top/compiler-reference/compiler-options/compiler-option-details/output-debug-and-precompiled-header-pch-options/fa-1.html)

λ icx /Qiopenmp /FAs /Faoutput.asm /Zi /arch:CORE-AVX2 -O1 -Werror /S Cpp_Intel_SDLT.cpp
Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 2021.3.0 Build 20210619
Copyright (C) 1985-2021 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

clang-cl: error: argument unused during compilation: '-FAs' [-Werror,-Wunused-command-line-argument]

Obviously, clang-cl.exe is used to compile the source code. The output icx /? shows that /FA[options] is not available.

To me that's confusing.

About which compiler is the documentation talking? Does the Windows version clang-cl.exe simply not offer the option to generate a listing with C++ code? Is there a different way to add C++ code to the asm file?

Thanks,

Thomas

0 Kudos
1 Solution
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We are able to reproduce the same issue.

We are working on your issue internally. we will get back to you soon.

Meanwhile could you please try compiling your code with icl compiler instead of icx compiler.

Regards,

Vidya.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We are able to reproduce the same issue.

We are working on your issue internally. we will get back to you soon.

Meanwhile could you please try compiling your code with icl compiler instead of icx compiler.

Regards,

Vidya.

VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

The issue raised by you has been fixed in the 2021.4 version. Please download and let us know if this resolves your issue.

Regards,

Vidya.

_Thomas_
Novice
0 Kudos
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution.

As the issue is resolved we will no longer monitor this thread.

Please post a new question if you need any additional information from Intel.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Vidya.

0 Kudos