Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Compiler runs 10x slower after installing VTune with floating license

Intel_C_Intel
Employee

I had Intel C++ compiler (10.0.26) installed with a node locked license. I have an application which continuously executes icl.exe to compile as many files as possible, on the same Windows machine. I was previously seeing between 12 and 14 compilations per second.

I recently installed VTune, and we have a floating license on a network machine. Since then, my compilation throughput has fallen to between 1 and 2 compilations per second.

I am not 100% certain that it is due to the VTune installation, it could coincidentally be an IT upgrade, but I think that it does make sense, particularly since I installed VTune with a floating license. My initial thoughts are that the compiler is attempting a network access each time icl.exe is launched, which increases the time before it begins compilation.

I have tried installing the latest compiler (10.1.21) again with a node locked license, and have also removed VTune, but this has not helped.

Can anybody give me some pointers on what else I can try. I don't know where to set the license file path for Intel productsor anything like that??

Thank you for your help,

Denis

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JenniferJ

On the development machine, "set INTEL_LMD_DEBUG =1", then run "icl test.cpp" from a build environment. It will print out the list of license files checked.

It might be that there're too many invalid licenses being checked. If so, removing those invalid license files should help.

Or it could be checking another license server that is out of date.

0 Kudos