Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Compiling Boost C++ with ICC 11

ZarthCode
Beginner
I'm trying to compile the boost.org c++ libraries using the intel compiler, however for each file it tries to compile, get this "Windows cannot open this file: blah.obj.rsp" popup (attached). I've seen references to this error in the mailing list, but no solution. Has anyone run into this? I get the error using any commandline, and even the intel cmd shell. Is there something that I've done wrong to cause this?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mario__Intel_
Beginner
Quoting - zarthrag

Hi,

I have succesfully used several Intel Compiler in the past to compiler Boost (up to 10.1). I will check if there are problems withVersion 11 and let you know asap.

Cheers

-- Mario
0 Kudos
mario__Intel_
Beginner

Quoting - mario (Intel)

Hi,

I have succesfully used several Intel Compiler in the past to compiler Boost (up to 10.1). I will check if there are problems withVersion 11 and let you know asap.

Cheers

-- Mario

So here is a more elaborated answer. I have already build Boost Version 1.33 and 1.35 with ICC 11.0.26. Here are the commadlines I used.

echo "Building boost with Intel compiler ..."
bjam --toolset="intel" "-sINTEL_PATH=C:Program FilesIntelCompiler11.0�26cppbinia32" "-sINTEL_BASE_MSVC_TOOLSET=vc-8_0" "-sINTEL_VERSION=11" install > icc_log_install

and

echo "Building boost with Intel compiler ..."
bjam --toolset="intel" "-sINTEL_PATH=C:Program FilesIntelCompiler11.0�26cppbinia32" "-sINTEL_BASE_MSVC_TOOLSET=vc-8_0" "-sINTEL_VERSION=11" stage > icc_log_stage

You have to modify the path and VC env according to your environment.

My site-config.jam looks like

# Copyright 2002, 2003 Vladimir Prus
# Distributed under the Boost Software License, Version 1.0.
# (See accompanying file LICENSE_1_0.txt or http://www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt)

#python
using python : 2.5 : C:/Python25 ;

# Intel C++

using intel-win : 11.0 : "C:/Program Files/Intel/Compiler/11.0/026/bin/ia32/icl.exe" : intel "C:/Program Files/Intel/Compiler/11.0/026/bin/ia32/iclvars_ia32.bat" "/D _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE /D _CRT_NON_CONFORMING_SWPRINTFS /D _SCL_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE /D _USE_32BIT_TIME_T /D _SECURE_SCL=0 ;

I have also used a bjam build with icc but this is of course not necessary. I will try to build the latest Boost version over the weekend.

-- Mario
0 Kudos
ZarthCode
Beginner
Quoting - zarthrag
I'm trying to compile the boost.org c++ libraries using the intel compiler, however for each file it tries to compile, get this "Windows cannot open this file: blah.obj.rsp" popup (attached). I've seen references to this error in the mailing list, but no solution. Has anyone run into this? I get the error using any commandline, and even the intel cmd shell. Is there something that I've done wrong to cause this?

Thanks, I was ultimately able to get everything working by copyinguser-config.jam from tools/build/v2/ to the %HOMEPATH% (base boost directory) directory and then add:

using intel-win : 11 : "c:/program files/intel/compiler/11.0/072/cpp/bin/ia32/icl.exe" ;

to the compiler configuration section (adjust the path to the intel compiler as needed).

Then:

bjam toolset=intel

This seems to have cleared up the problem. I guess bjam couldn't find the compiler without some help - even though icl is in the path.
0 Kudos
jamiecook
Beginner
This is probably a bit late for the OP but I solved this problem by running the iclvars_ia32.bat script which sets up the correct environment variables... it is located at "c:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler\11.0\061\cpp\bin\ia32\iclvars_ia32.bat" for my version of the compiler.
0 Kudos