Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Compiling boost for Intel compiler on Windows

Barnea__Boaz
Beginner

Hi,

I followed the steps (with adjustments for version 18) to build boost using Intel compiler.

I have Intel i7 processor, with windows 7 64-bit version, therefore I run compilervars.bat batch with intel64 flag.

I run b2 with address-model=32, yet  in boost libboost_log-iw-mt-gd-x32-1_66.lib is created as an x64 binary (I see it using 'dumpbin /HEADERS libboost_log-iw-mt-gd-x32-1_66.lib')

I guess the library is built by default as x64 for some reason.... 

any idea?

Thanks,

Boaz.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Viet_H_Intel

Hi, 

It's not default because you ran compilervars.bat batch with intel64, that invoked x64 bit compiler.

If you want to use IA32 bit compiler, then you should run compilervars.bat batch with ia32.

Regards,

Viet

0 Kudos
Barnea__Boaz
Beginner

Thanks Viet.

I called compilervars.bat with ia32, and it solved the problem.

But I don't understand...

according to this

intel64 is for processors that support x64, with a modern x64 OS

and ia32 is for x86 processors.

Mine is a x64 processor! with Windows 7 x64 Enterprise Edition!

Why only the call to compilervars.bat with  ia32 worked??

Thanks and Puzzled...

Boaz.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Even on an x64 system with support for separate 32 and 64 bit applications,  there's no support for mixing them in a single application.   Among other things , stopping an application to switch modes if it were supported could take as long as terminating an application and starting another on a single hardware thread.

0 Kudos