Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Compiling on Linux for Win. & Linux platform (w/o API or POSIX)

sprogrammer
Beginner

Im developing C based software that should run both on Linux & Win. I do not care about API access or POSIX compatibility beyond standard stdio. Im developing simple signal processing procedures that need only file level OS access. Ideal is something like mingw/gcc compiler where I can develop simple window software using Linux platform.

Can I use some Intel product that can replace mingw (gcc version) to increase the performance of my software?

What would be a best choice?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
You probably did not intend "signal" to mean operating system signals (SIGSEG, SIGABT, etc.). If so, you may consider using the Integrated Performance Primitives Toolbox, which is included with some versions of the Intel C compiler, or may be obtained a la carte. You may find it useful to browse through the documentation to see if the coverage of the IPP is suitable for you:

IPP manual
0 Kudos
sprogrammer
Beginner
No, not that kind of signals, just regular DSP staff. With the mingw/gcc I can produce Win. procedures (*.exe) on the Linux platform. I wonder if such possibility exists with Intel compiler.
IPP has quite impressive list of procedures, but I have to start from compiler itself first. Ill appreciate any thoughts.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
No, there's no ifort cross compiler from linux to Windows. It may be possible to run a Windows compiler under wine, but that hasn't been tested. Wine seems to have gone out of fashion with the better availability of full virtualization schemes such as Xen, to permit hosting a virtual Windows copy. Generally speaking, there are enough useful facilities available under Windows that there isn't much incentive to struggle with cross compilation.
0 Kudos