Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Complete rebuild every time

Pavel_Holoborodko__A

I use Intel Composer XE 13 with MSVC 2010 Ultimate SP1 and Windos 7 x64 (Ultimate) with all updates. 

Intel C++ Compiler completely re-builds project every time, even if no changes were done in any of the cpp files. Compiler completely ignores the fact that nothing was changed and that precompiled headers are used.

Very unfortunate bug, especially combined with the fact that multi-processor compilation /MP is also not supported in C++ compiler (also bug)!

Full rebuild takes forever + it is done in one thread + it is done every time = unusable on non-trivial projects.

Native MSVC2010 compiler handles the same project well.

Overall C++ compiler in XE 13 seems to be handicapped to the full extend possible and hardly unusable on any project of moderate size. 

I tried all versions released in 2013, 2 - 5 updates - all have the same problems.  

Are there any plans for bug fixes? Is there any hope it will be fixed in SP1?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Pavel,

We need a test case to reproduce the problem you reported, on our own system.  Could you please upload one in this issue?  If it's a proprietory project, let me know.

Thank you.
--
Feilong H.
Intel Developer Support

Tools Knowledge Base:  http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/tools

0 Kudos
Pavel_Holoborodko__A

Hi Feilong,

Thank you for your response, 

This is proprietory project, I cannot provide source code. Beside project is pretty huge. 

Same problem is constantly reported since 2012 on this forum. Broken multi-processor compilation (/MP) is reported in IPS.

Another problem (I reported in different forum) - I cannot access IPS, premier.intel.com re-directs to some strange URL: http://vmsdwkavi1.jf.intel.com/sites/ibl/b2bportal/noaccess.htm.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Overall C++ compiler in XE 13 seems to be handicapped to the full extend possible and hardly unusable on any >>project of moderate size... Take a look at how stdafx-like files are used. I use version 13 of Intel C++ compiler since December 2012 on a project and there are No any issues similar to what you've described. Note: I wonder if MS MIDL-compiler is used to create h- and cpp-files for COM-interfaces?
0 Kudos
Pavel_Holoborodko__A

Hi Sergey,

Thank you for your response!

Project I am working on is optimized for minimum rebuilds (including precompiled headers, incapsulation & separation of code in cpp files, etc.). Native MSVC2010 builds it nicely - recompiles only cpp file what was changed. 

I also tried trial version of Parallel Studio (January Edition, 2013) - it was building the project nicely too.

All other sunsequent updates became one-threaded and always re-building everything.

There are no automatically generated source code files in the project. I already removed anti-virus too ;). Re-installed MSVC2010. 

I am close to re-installing Windows.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I also tried trial version of Parallel Studio (January Edition, 2013) - it was building the project nicely too. >> >>All other sunsequent updates became one-threaded and always re-building everything. It looks strange and it is possible that there are some issues in latest releases. Do you have any compiler warnings ( use /W5 and /Wcheck )? More detailed information would help. Thanks in advance. >>There are no automatically generated source code files in the project. I already removed anti-virus too ;). Re-installed MSVC2010. >> >>I am close to re-installing Windows. This is Not related to the operating system and please put that on hold ( I wouldn't do that in a similar case ).
0 Kudos
Pavel_Holoborodko__A

Sergey,

I managed to solve the issue with constant re-builds. Somehow several files in the source tree had modification time later than current time - that was the cause. After fixing the dates no more complete re-builds.

I was able to find the cause only after enabling extended diagnostic in MSVC2010. See this link for instructions:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/8084718/479995

However /MP optiin is still ignored by the compiler.  I have following options:

Maximum number of parallel project builds = 8

Maximum concurrent C++ compilations = 4

I tried the case when both are 1 - still no effect. I am using the latest C++ Compiler Update 5.

Thank you,

Pavel. 

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Pavel Holoborodko wrote:

Intel C++ Compiler completely re-builds project every time, even if no changes were done in any of the cpp files. Compiler completely ignores the fact that nothing was changed and that precompiled headers are used.

I have noticed the same issue with 13.x and beta 14.0 as well. Please, file issue to the premier support at https://premier.intel.com/ .

Pavel Holoborodko wrote:

Very unfortunate bug, especially combined with the fact that multi-processor compilation /MP is also not supported in C++ compiler (also bug)!

Full rebuild takes forever + it is done in one thread + it is done every time = unusable on non-trivial projects.

I have submitted this issue to the premier support, on 13.x and on beta 14, it has been successfuly confirmed and reproduced, and fix is on its way, as my report status reads "escalated to engineering team". Please, wait for next update.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>... >>I managed to solve the issue with constant re-builds. Somehow several files in the source tree had modification time >>later than current time - that was the cause. After fixing the dates no more complete re-builds. >> >>I was able to find the cause only after enabling extended diagnostic in MSVC2010. See this link for instructions: >> >>http://stackoverflow.com/a/8084718/479995 >>... Thanks for the update and the web-link on how to enable extended diagnostic!
0 Kudos