Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Composer 2013 SP1 Update 1 as missing Xcode 5.0 ( 5.0.2 ), OSX Maver.

Rene_Keilwerth
Beginner

Hi,

i installed the SP1 update 1 onto my XCode 5.0.2 and reworked the project settings of my existing projects.
i had added the command line option -fasm-block, because my code is using some assambler code.

however, during compilation, the compiler exists with an errcode 100, file/directory "/XCode/Developer/usr/bin/as" not found.
i just copied the file from my older xcode installation( XCode 4.4.2, Intel XE 12.1 Update 13 )
i also had to copy the folder /XCode/Developer/usr/libexec/as

now it compiles but i get the same threading errors like in 12.1 where the assambler read a file that is currently beeing modified by the compiler

ending up with undefined symbols, or unexpcted end of line in a ".s" file ( dont know the name currently)

i am sure that this is a problem of the wrong version of the as file.

So why is "as" missing?

Rene

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Andrey_B_Intel2
Employee

Hi Rene,

Have you installed "command line tools" in XCode? They are not installed by default in XCode 5, and "as" is a part of these tools. Please see more details in Composer release notes: http://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/Release_Notes_C_2013SP1_M_EN_Update1.pdf (section "2 Installation"). If command line tools installed correctly, "as" should be present in /usr/bin/.

If you installed command line tools but still see this error, do you use "-dev-usr-root" option when invoking icc / icpc?

Yours,
Andrey

0 Kudos
Rene_Keilwerth
Beginner

Hi,

thanks for the answer. I allready installed the command line tools but still got the error.
i am suprised that icpc looks for as in the XCode App folder.

so whats about that -dev-usr-root option?

shall i just add the to the additional c++ compiler options ( like -fasm-blocks) ?

Rene

0 Kudos
Andrey_B_Intel2
Employee

Rene,

After installation of command line tools, you should have "as" present somewhere. By default, it is in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/ as well as in /usr/bin/. icpc should have no problems finding "as"; however, if it does, you can set command line tools location explicitly with -dev-usr-root option:

icpc -dev-usr-root=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/ test.cpp

(please note that you should supply "usr/" location, not "usr/bin/")

Thus, please:

1) Find where "as" is installed on your system. It should be in a subdirectory named "bin".
2) Add -dev-usr-root option pointing to the directory above "bin" (like in the example above).

Yours,
Andrey

0 Kudos