Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Composer 2015 update 4 installer hiccups

damienhocking
New Contributor I

I installed Update 4 from a couple of days ago this morning.  It removes all the old Update 3 components, but doesn't install any of the new ones.  You have to run the installer again to get the new redists and so on.  This is on Windows 8.1 Pro 64.  Not a big problem but I thought you should know.

Damien

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Given that update 4 was issued solely to support installation under VS2015, it may not have been tested for ability to replace update 3 (with identical components).  They could have told us this earlier, but I guess people will continue to try the pointless replacement.

0 Kudos
damienhocking
New Contributor I

Oh.  Oh well.  :-)

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Just for curiosity, I'm checking the allegation in another post that update 4 is removing VS2010 integration. Maybe it supports only VS2012/2013/2015 (but it says it will integrate with all 4 of those).  It's taking longer than I expected; I used the time spent in a fresh download to remove some beta test components as a precaution.

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Tim, According to Update 4 release notes, we still support VS 2010 in Update 4.

Hi damienhocking, Tim is correct that Update 4 was created to add support for VS 2015.  The compiler binaries are identical to Update 3.  Only the IDE integration changed.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

yes, VS2010 SP1 integration is fine here.  Trying for VS2015 too, but the VS install has been running 8 hours.  Too many non-optional additions, apparently.  Maybe people will be happy if Intel decides to stick with VS2010 Shell.

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Damien,

I'd like to get your installation logs, and pass them to our engineering team, in order to investigate the issue you mentioned.  Installation logs can be found in %TEMP% directory, which is usually C:\Users\<your-user-id>\AppData\Local\Temp.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Icl seems to break cl include path in the vs2015 cmd window.

icl doesn't use mspdb140, am I wrong in trying Z7?

0 Kudos
damienhocking
New Contributor I

Feilong,

I'm happy to help, but there's 9GB of files in that temp directory, and the only thing with an Intel label is "parallel_studio_xe_2015_update4_setup_extract.log", which is attached.  There's the ism.log as well, but that's just the download info.464833

Damien

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Damien,

Thank you for your willing to help.  In your temp directory, do you see any log files starting with intel.pset?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
damienhocking
New Contributor I

Feilong,

Are these the ones you need?

Damien464940

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Damien,

Thank you for the log files.  I'm passing them to our installation team now.

Thanks.

0 Kudos