Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Configure Error on iostream!

Farrokh_A_
Beginner

I have recently installed Ubuntu 14.04 64bit and tried to compile MPICH from the source using Intel Compilers 2013. At the beginning of compilation I use this command to configure MPICH:

./configure CC=icc CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort -prefix=/home/user/mpich-install

and I get this error after a while:

checking whether <iostream> available... no
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... icpc -E
checking iostream.h usability... no
checking iostream.h presence... no
checking for iostream.h... no
configure: error: C++ compiler icpc   has neither iostream nor iostream.h.
configure: error: ./configure failed for test/mpi

I also tried compiling MPICH with GCC and it worked fine!

Any idea?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Farrokh,

Thanks for your information.  I reproduced this problem in Ubuntu 14.0, and figured out that this is a known issue in icc 14.0 Update 1.  It has been fixed since 14.0 Update 2.  Please update your icc to Update 2 or later.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Farrokh,

Please provide version of your MPICH and your icc.  "icc -V" would print detailed version info.  There is usually a configure log.  Please upload it and it would be helpful to diagnose the error.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Farrokh_A_
Beginner

Thanks for your reply Feilong,

As answer to your questions:

MPICH version is: 3.1.2

ICC: Version 14.0.1.106 Build 20131008 (64bit)

I attached configure log file to this post as well.

0 Kudos
Farrokh_A_
Beginner

Bump, bump!

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Hi Farrokh,

Thank you for your log file.  Sorry that I missed your previous reply.

I tried to configure MPICH 3.1.2 with exactly same icc/icpc and ifort.  My configuration went through successfully.  I used exactly same configuration command line as yours.

Could you please compile a simple hello world C++ program with icpc, and see if it works?

Please run the following command and copy-n-paste the output here.

$ ll /bin/sh

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Farrokh_A_
Beginner

Thanks for your reply Feilong,

I did what you said and got this error:

In file included from ./test.cpp(2):
/usr/include/c++/4.8/iostream(38): catastrophic error: cannot open source file "bits/c++config.h"
  #include <bits/c++config.h>
                             ^

compilation aborted for ./test.cpp (code 4)

I googled it and worked around the problem by doing this:

export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=$CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH:/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/c++/4.8

Is it right to do this? I mean is it the right way to work around all possible related problems?

And is it a normal thing (mandatory) to do after installing Intel C++ Compiler on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit? I ask this cause I never had such a problem on other Linux distros like CentOS and Ubuntu 12.04

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Farrokh,

Thanks for your information.  I reproduced this problem in Ubuntu 14.0, and figured out that this is a known issue in icc 14.0 Update 1.  It has been fixed since 14.0 Update 2.  Please update your icc to Update 2 or later.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Farrokh_A_
Beginner

Thanks Feilong,

It seems that I should download the new version when Intel non-commercial development software webpage is back online.

0 Kudos
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee

Farrokh A. wrote:

Thanks Feilong,

It seems that I should download the new version when Intel non-commercial development software webpage is back online.

Your license is current.  You may log in to https://registrationcenter.intel.com/ and download newer updates.

0 Kudos