Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

Customer wants Intel C++ standalone compiler

Dave_A__from_Lifeboa
Customer extremely frustrated that Intel literature regarding C++ compiler/composer requires so many Microsoft components...I quote:

Drives me NUTS! All I want is a stand-alone compiler (compatable with

GCC)!!!! IF not Composer XE, then what is the Intel product I need? Or

maybe the above web page is out of date. Either way, I need to know for

SURE.

Isn't the C++ compiler 64bit command line option open to this customer BUT still needs Microsoft SDK?
Please advise,
Dave A at Lifeboat Distribution.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Om_S_Intel
Employee

Intel compiler needs Mircosoft development environment to work with runtime libraries.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
The Intel compilers aim to be used in place of the standard compilers on each platform, and rely on the standard development tools for the OS (linker, librarian, etc., and standard libraries and headers).

On Windows, that standard compiler is Microsoft Visual C++. On Linux, it is GCC. Therefore, a wish for GCC compatibility on Windows is not going to be satisfied.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
The detailed requirements for either cmd line andVS IDE integration are listed in this article http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-compiler-for-windows-intel-c-compilers-and-microsoft-visual-c/.

For cmd line only support, for ia32, you can get the VC express edition which is free; for x64, you can use the SDK for Windows 7. The release notes listed the supported version of the SDK.

Jennifer
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Everybody,

What about a MinGW v3.4.x compiler, or later versions? It is a GCC-based compiler for Windows Desktop platforms.

MinGWperfectly works as a completely standalone command-linecompiler without any 3rd-party IDEs. It creates executables with no dependencies on MFC or ATL libraries. There are only dependencies on Microsoft'sCRT-libraries.

In my development environment I'm compiling sources with MinGW integrated into MS Visual Studios ( 2005, 2008 and 2010 ). Actually,I'm forced to use 4 compilers ( VC++, MinGW, Borland C++ and Turbo C++ )on my projectdoing all the developments in aVisual Studio IDE,because of strict ( to be honest, harsh )requirements for portability.

Best regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hi

(What about a MinGW v3.4.x compiler, or later versions?)

You have now TDM-GCC upgraded 4.6.1 to 64 & 32 (http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/)
for me this compiler is also an jewell even I compare with Linux version is native
more appropriated.(Congratulations for work of team Dragon)...
Just an small warning ,for install (OpenMp, cxx,fortran; etc) are not selected
are the option by default, in process install require tree is open for select the options.
Options could be added after but box upgrade options not really clear with
significations confusing.
For me with that i make, this compiler answered perfectly for that i wait and
is above that i hope ...
(I use Sandy Bridge with O/S two sides , with configurations. small and middle).
With TDM-GCC
download ,install ,test and remove if you are not satisfact ( it that i doubt)
require less that 15 minutes .
Team very serious , and if required even the uninstall is very clean
(I use Vista pro 32 & w7 64 and Debian squeeze side Linux with an build source 4.6.1)
Regards
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I think Intel should provide an option "Command Line Installation" or "Standalone Installation" for allC/C++ compilers.

I would be glad to seemore flexibilityand it is my problem how to use a C/C++ compiler for development.

There are lots ofPlatform SDKs from Microsoft and ALL headers \libraries are there! Unfortunatetly, Intel doesn't take it into account.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
This is a reasonable request.
The standalone installation would warn you if the required SDK or VS express edition does not exist, but allow continue installation. Let me file a FeatureRequest for it.

Right now the "Complete" installation will require the VS standard or above. The components that need the VS standard or above are followings 3:
1)Integration(s) in Microsoft Visual Studio
2) Intel Parallel Debugger Extension
3) Integrated Documentation.
(I'm about to install the update7 so got a screen capture of the component selection dlg. the 3 components in red cycle requires VS standard edition or above.)

Jennifer
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

>>...
>>This is a reasonable request.
>>The standalone installation would warn you if the required SDK or VS express edition does not exist...
>>...

As I told, that new feature would be nice to see.

I have totwocomputers for stress-tests,a notebook with Pentium 4 CPUand a netbook withAtomN270 CPU, with a very limited resources and an installation of any Visual Studios is not an option.

But aconfiguration like MS Platform SDK vX ( as older as possible )plus Intel C/C++ compiler vYas aStandalone would work.

Best regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Jennifer,

Actually, I wasn't thinking about a new feature inIntel's installation/update applicationfor some line(s) of IntelC++ Compiler(s).

I was thinking about acompletely standalone version.

It means, I would be glad to seesome version of IntelC++ compiler without any additional packages like IPP, or MKL, tools,etc, and without any attempt to integrate itself to aMS Visual Studio.

Such version could be considered as Intel C++ compiler Lite, and of course it could becheaper than a full scale version.

Would it be possible?

Best regards,
Sergey
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Hi Sergey,
I've passed your msg to our product marketing.Once I got any news about it, I'll postit here.

For your question about "Standalone installation", actually our current product supports it. If the PSDK is not installed, but you have only the VS 2010 exp edition. The installation will continue, but it gives a warning. You can install the PSDK later, and change the compiler's script file to call the PSDK script.

thanks,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Adding more notes: if no any VS installed, the Intel C++ Composer's installation could continue as well but with a warning msg that you need to install the VS and config the command line script.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
Jennifer,

Unfortunately that is not a future-proof solution.

Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft C/C++ compiler toolchain which includes resource compiler, manifest tool, linker, and librarian needed for Intel C/C++ Compiler to work will not be part of Windows SDK anymore (unless Microsoft changed their mind on that as well?).

The only way for Intel to make truly standalone C/C++ compiler is to build and ship their own tools (rc.exe, mt.exe, link.exe, lib.exe) that are needed to produce PE executables, and I don't see any efforts from the compiler team going in that direction so far.

In my opinion, that would be more important to request as a new feature -- no dependency on Microsoft toolchain. I know that developing own linker and librarian looks like a lot of redundant work, but if done right you could have a true cross-platform compiler -- you could have linker/librarian that produces Windows, Linux and Mac executables/libraries on any of the platforms Intel Compiler can run, provided that the user has proper headers and libraries.

0 Kudos
Maycon_Oliveira
Beginner
Hi,
What link to download the application please?
Thanks
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Quoting Igor Levicki
...Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft C/C++ compiler toolchain which includes resource compiler, manifest tool, linker, and librarian needed for Intel C/C++ Compiler to work will not be part of Windows SDK anymore...

It will be a real disaster for many software companiesif Microsoft will try to remove all versions of Windows SDK from
a Microsoft Download web-site.Let's saysome time later after a release of Windows 8.

So, in that case Welcome toAndroid, or Linux, or Anything but Windows!
0 Kudos