Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Debugging in C++

Ramith_H_
Beginner

Please recommend me a good debugger for c++ 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Shenghong_G_Intel

Hi Ramith,

You may post your issue on https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/debug-solutions for better answers, but I will give some of my understandings...

First of all, your question is hard to give a solid answer, as it really depends on what kind of debug you want, and what kind of environment you work on, and what kind of working style you like (cmd or GUI) etc.

On Linux:

For some low level debugging, like the Linux kernel or driver, you may need something like "JTAG debugger", Intel has some JTAG debugger solutions provided.

For application level debugging, I guess GDB is the most popular. GDB itself is command line, but there are some GUI front-end, like using GDB in Eclipse. Also, GDB support remote debugging if you work on embedded Linux.

Intel provides a friendly GUI debugger named "IDB" but that was deprecated and not provided in Parallel Studio 2015 product. Instead, Intel now ships a enhanced GDB, which has some added features in GDB, like the data race detection feature.

On windows, I guess Visual Studio's in-built debugger is enough for most users. But there are some other famous debuggers like WinDgb, which supports kernel debugger too.

Hope it is helpful for you, and I am sure you need more exploration to get the debugger you really need, based on your requirements. It is hard to say which debugger is good and another one is bad. :)

Thanks,

Shenghong

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Shenghong_G_Intel

Hi Ramith,

You may post your issue on https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/debug-solutions for better answers, but I will give some of my understandings...

First of all, your question is hard to give a solid answer, as it really depends on what kind of debug you want, and what kind of environment you work on, and what kind of working style you like (cmd or GUI) etc.

On Linux:

For some low level debugging, like the Linux kernel or driver, you may need something like "JTAG debugger", Intel has some JTAG debugger solutions provided.

For application level debugging, I guess GDB is the most popular. GDB itself is command line, but there are some GUI front-end, like using GDB in Eclipse. Also, GDB support remote debugging if you work on embedded Linux.

Intel provides a friendly GUI debugger named "IDB" but that was deprecated and not provided in Parallel Studio 2015 product. Instead, Intel now ships a enhanced GDB, which has some added features in GDB, like the data race detection feature.

On windows, I guess Visual Studio's in-built debugger is enough for most users. But there are some other famous debuggers like WinDgb, which supports kernel debugger too.

Hope it is helpful for you, and I am sure you need more exploration to get the debugger you really need, based on your requirements. It is hard to say which debugger is good and another one is bad. :)

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

In addition to those mentioned there are commercial debuggers with additional capability for parallel programming such as allinea and totalview.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

On Windows for system wide debugging you can use windbg and for C++ debugging during the development phase VS debugger will suit your needs.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

BTW, Tim's comment on debugging for parallel programming reminded me to also let you know that there are other Intel products like Intel Inspector XE 2015  (which a developer can use  to identify and resolve memory and threading  issues in their c/c++ code) and Intel Vtune Amplifier XE 2015  (which a developer can use for performance analysis) as well that will come in handy. For this and other related product details you can visit the site at: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-sdp-home where you can find several interesting developer  products as well .

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Ramith_H_
Beginner
Tim, thanks I found gdb usefull but have to refer a proper guide
0 Kudos
Ramith_H_
Beginner
Thanks Kittur for providing that information!
0 Kudos
Ramith_H_
Beginner
Dear Shenghong, Sorry, in the post i have not mentioned my intention of using c++. I'm currently using c++ for mainly programming problems. Thanks, Ramith
0 Kudos
Vidura_Dhananjaya
New Contributor II
cross-platform C/C++ development in Eclipse on Linux and Windows is also an option. Use eclipse or NetBeans I can help you with it. Thank you.
0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

c++ for mainly programming problems.

Ramith, can you let us know what domain you do program in? Is it in a high level application domain (Linux or Android or Mac)? And do you also program in the embedded domain and interested in power analysis, JTAG debugging and so on as well? Thanks

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Dushan_C_
New Contributor I

I know you are doing algorithmic programming, so you are fine with GDB

0 Kudos