Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Debugging info not properly generated

joewright
Beginner
Still getting used to ICC (v.10)

I've hit a strange problem. I'm currently debugging a function but having problems with VC saying that the variables are out of scope. The strange thing is, its only in some parts of the function that the variables go 'out of scope' (although of course they are in scope otherwise the code wouldn't run). For example, when the nesting gets deeper it tends to happen.

To me this sounds like incomplete debugging info generation. Using the VC compiler its absolutely fine. I've looked very carefully at the project settings, making sure they're all set to debug configuration. Also, I've removed the particular class from the project and re-added it. Still no joy. Same problem under VC2003 and VC2005

Has anyone come across anything like this?

Thanks, Joe
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dale_S_Intel
Employee
It's hard to say without an example. It could be a problem with debug generation, or it could be some confusion as a result of a code motion optimization or something along those lines.

Have you tried it at /Od, i.e. disabling optimizations?

Dale
0 Kudos
joewright
Beginner
Thanks Dale,

Yes this was with optimisations disabled. I need to strip out some commerically sensitive code and then I'll post the code. I'll try and do that tomorrow.

Cheers, Joe
0 Kudos
joewright
Beginner
Well I've just been preparing some sample code and found it worked with no problems. I did strip a fair amout out so I'm thinking it may be to do with the amount of code in a function and nesting. That's my guess at the moment.

I'll need to do more investigation.

Joe
0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner
Actually I do have something similar (ICC 10.1.020 and VS2005 compiling X64 under XP64).
But in my case a full part of the function is just not available...
It is starting to make my life really difficult when debugging.

Laurent
0 Kudos