Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Debugging problem

valerio19
Beginner
Dear all,

I've just installed Parallel Studio and Cluster Toolkit.

When I use the Intel-C++ as compiler I'm not able to debug my application.

I set the debugging properties in the following way:

MPI CLUSTER DEBUGGER
- MPIRUN COMMAND: "C:\\Program Files\\Intel\\ict\\2011.0.014\\mpi\\ia32\\bin\\mpiexec.exe"
- MPISHIM Location: "C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\Common7\\IDE\\Remote Debugger\\x86\\mpishim.exe"
- MPIRUN ARGUMENTS: np -2 (two precessors)
- APPLICATION COMMAND: $(TargetPath)

When I launch the debugger I get the following error:
"Target for Debug Launch is not specified"

If I set the Remote Windows Debugger Properties it starts with a single processor

If I switch to VS-C++ compiler, it works correctly.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,

Valerio

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dmitry_K_Intel2
Employee
I was able to reproduce the error. It's not clear from the message what's incorrect in settings. Might be integration team may help. I'm moving this topic to C++ compiler forum.

Regards!
Dmitry
0 Kudos
Sven_Prevrhal
Beginner
First, Don't use macros such as $(TargetPath). When I used the absolute path to the debug executable, the error that you described went away and the debugger launched. However, it only launched ONE process not the number I had requested. That was with MPICH2, all in 64-bit. I wonder if Intel MPI would work. Is MPICH2 officially supported?
0 Kudos
valerio19
Beginner
Although I set "MPI CLUSTER DEBUGGER" as debugger to launch, the Visual Studio launches the "Remote Windows Debugger". Instead it works correctly when I set Visual C++ as compiler.
I'm using Intel MPI in 32 bit
0 Kudos
patkins
Beginner

Any update to this?

I am running Visual Studio 2008 and the 11.1.054 version of the C++ compiler and I run into this same problem.

I am using the 32-bit MPICH2 from ANL and I am following their instructions on setting up the debugger using their example code. Their instructions were:

# Re-install MPICH2 on your machine on a path (e.g.: C:\MPICH2) with no spaces

# Copy mpishim.exe to a directory without any spaces (e.g.: C:\MPICH2)

# Create a new VS project, hellow, in "c:\MPICH2\examples" directory and add the hellow.c source (https://svn.mcs.anl.gov/repos/mpi/mpich2/trunk/examples/hellow.c).

# Set the include/lib dep directories to point to MPICH2

# Compile the 32-bit/Debug configuration of the VS project

# Use the following settings,

Configuration: Active (Debug)

Platform: Active (Win32)

Debugger to launch: MPI Cluster Debugger

MPIRun Command: C:\MPICH2\bin\mpiexec.exe

MPIRun Arguments: -n 2

MPIRun Working Directory: C:\MPICH2\examples\hellow\Debug

Application Command:

Application Arguments:

MPIShim Location: C:\MPICH2\mpishim.exe

MPI network security mode: Accept connections from any address

MPI network filter:

Debugger type: Auto

So using this as my settings and the Visual Studio C++ compiler I can run the debug just fine. But if I use the Intel C++ compiler then I get the "Target for debug launch is not specified" error.
0 Kudos