Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Dependency on gcc/g++

dafischer
Beginner
Does Intel offer a standard C compiler for Linux that is not dependent on gcc/g++?

The only compiler options I see are Composer and the compiler for EFI byte code. I'm not trying to develop EFI byte code, so I assume the compiler I should use is Composer. I don't believe I need a compiler that does not depend on gcc, but my supervisor seems to prefer one if it exists. Does Intel offer any optimized C compilers that I'm missing?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Michael_K_Intel2
Employee
Hi,

The Intel Compiler has a dependency to GCC and standard libs (e.g. glibc. The reason is that the Intel Compiler relies on the system header files and the glibc, which implements the runtime system for C/C++. This way we can avoid implementing a (potentially) incompatible runtime library. With out approach, we can take almost 99% of the standard library stuff installed in any Linux system and only supply optimized replacements for some of the functions.

BTW, we do about the same on Windows platforms.

To summarize, there is no Intel compiler for Linux or Windows that does not need the regular compiler and SDKs on the system..

Kind regards,
-michael

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I'm not trying to develop EFI byte code...

A noteregarding Intel C Compiler for EFI( Extensible Firmware Interface ) Byte Code:

It is for embedded software development onWindows platform only.

Here is some summaryI have from Robert MuellerAlbrecht ( Intel ):

>>...
>>- Is it a C/C++ compiler or just C? A: C only
>>- If this is a C/C++ compiler does it support C++ templates? A: No ( because of 1st )
>>- It is not clear what is a host environment for the development? Windows? Linux? A: Windows only
>>- Could you provide more information, please? Links, Manuals, Developer References, etc. A: Provided
>>...

You don't need Intel C Compiler for EFI if you do a development on Linux desktop platforms.
0 Kudos
Michael_K_Intel2
Employee
Hi,

The Intel Compiler has a dependency to GCC and standard libs (e.g. glibc. The reason is that the Intel Compiler relies on the system header files and the glibc, which implements the runtime system for C/C++. This way we can avoid implementing a (potentially) incompatible runtime library. With out approach, we can take almost 99% of the standard library stuff installed in any Linux system and only supply optimized replacements for some of the functions.

BTW, we do about the same on Windows platforms.

To summarize, there is no Intel compiler for Linux or Windows that does not need the regular compiler and SDKs on the system..

Kind regards,
-michael
0 Kudos
dafischer
Beginner
Thanks to both of you for your responses.
0 Kudos