Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Destination of object files

gib
New Contributor II

(I'm working on Windows)

The makefile I've inherited, for gcc, compiles various components of the project in place in different subdirectories. I can't figure out how to make icl put the object file in the same place as the source file (except by explicitly specifying the diirectory).

That is,

icl -c foo\\bar.c -Fofoo\\

creates foo\\bar.obj

but I don't know how to write the general rule in the makefile, to replace the gcc version:

.c.o:
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $< -o $@

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Do you mean you want a .o file rather than .obj? The only way I know of is to rename it in the Makefile rule.

A .c.obj rule should work fine, with appropriate settings for CC and CFLAGS, if you have added .obj to the .SUFFIXES rule.

If you are using a proprietary Windows-specific make, the answer will depend on the specific make you have chosen. I would suggest gnu make, if you are trying to modify a gnu makefile.

0 Kudos
gib
New Contributor II

No, I don't mean I want .o object files. I just copied the lines from the original makefile verbatim. I have been using

.c.obj:
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $<

which puts the object files in the working directory. I haven't added a .SUFFIXES rule (the original makefile doesn't have one). Will that make a difference? If so, what should it look like?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee

Are you using Cygwin or something similar that provides you with unix utilities like dirname? If so you could do something like

$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $< -Fo`dirname $<`\

but I think cygwin will give you forward slashes which might confuse things.

Dale

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

gnu make defaults to treating .o but not .obj as a SUFFIX (even if built for Windows)

.SUFFIXES: .obj

0 Kudos