Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7957 Discussions

Diagnostic 2304: non-explicit constructor with single argument may cause implicit type conversion

bkustel
Beginner

How can I control (e.g., disable) this C++ warning? I am using version 12.1.4 on OS X.

warning #2304: non-explicit constructor with single argument may cause implicit type conversion

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Judith_W_Intel
Employee
/* This warning is given under the -Weffc++ switch on code like the example below. What it is telling you is that you should probably make this constructor "explicit". If you don't then it can possibly be used in type conversions and in that case there is no way to specify a value for the default argument. So what are your options for avoiding this warning? (1) Declare the constructor explicit (2) Don't use the -Weffc++ option (3) Disable this particular warning either with #pragma warning (disable:2304) inside the code or by using the command line option -diag-disable 2304 */ class C { public: C(int, int j = 0); };

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Judith_W_Intel
Employee
/* This warning is given under the -Weffc++ switch on code like the example below. What it is telling you is that you should probably make this constructor "explicit". If you don't then it can possibly be used in type conversions and in that case there is no way to specify a value for the default argument. So what are your options for avoiding this warning? (1) Declare the constructor explicit (2) Don't use the -Weffc++ option (3) Disable this particular warning either with #pragma warning (disable:2304) inside the code or by using the command line option -diag-disable 2304 */ class C { public: C(int, int j = 0); };
0 Kudos
bkustel
Beginner
Thanks! I'll be using the -diag-disable trick since this happens for me in C++ source files which don't belong to me that I'd prefer not to change.
0 Kudos