Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Direct-list-initialization of __m128/__m256 variable [bug, ICL 16.0]

Garipov__Ruslan
Beginner

The following code produces error when get compiled by Intel C++ 16 on Windows:

__m128 boo;
    __m128 foo {boo};

The compiler emits this error:

error : no suitable conversion function from "__m128" to "float" exists
              __m128 foo {boo};
                          ^

I get the same error with `__m256` type.

This violates 8.5.4 List-initialization [dcl.init.list]:

8.5.4.3.7 Otherwise, if the initializer list has a single element of type E and either T is not a reference type or
its referenced type is reference-related to E, the object or reference is initialized from that element (by
copy-initialization for copy-list-initialization, or by direct-initialization for direct-list-initialization)...

Does it relate to "ICL can't deduce variable type when a variable is declared using a placeholder type (auto) [bug since C++17]"? I mean: is it also fixed in Intel C++ 17?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Ruslan,
Thanks for catching this issue. This is not fixed and I've filed an issue with the developers (CQ: DPD200408653) and will keep you updated as soon as the release with the fix is out. Appreciate your patience till then.
Regards,
Kittur

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Ruslan,
That appears to be the case and I'll check with the product team and will confirm and update you soon. Appreciate your patience till then.
Kittur

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Ruslan,
Thanks for catching this issue. This is not fixed and I've filed an issue with the developers (CQ: DPD200408653) and will keep you updated as soon as the release with the fix is out. Appreciate your patience till then.
Regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos