Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

Disabling Profiling for set of functions in a file

hhegde
Beginner
When migrating from Intel Compiler version 9 to 10, we found that certain functions in a file were being profiled, which were not being done earlier.

- Is there a command-line option in icc(v10) which would disable profiling for a set of functions?

I see an option in profmerge that can do the same

-exclude_funcs ='blah,.foo,bar'

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Om_S_Intel
Employee
Quoting - hhegde
When migrating from Intel Compiler version 9 to 10, we found that certain functions in a file were being profiled, which were not being done earlier.

- Is there a command-line option in icc(v10) which would disable profiling for a set of functions?

The profmerge is called by intel compiler driver internally in feedback compilation (/Qprof_use). You can merge the profile information using profmerge tool and pass on the .dpi file with /Qprof_use option.
0 Kudos
hhegde
Beginner
The profmerge is called by intel compiler driver internally in feedback compilation (/Qprof_use). You can merge the profile information using profmerge tool and pass on the .dpi file with /Qprof_use option.
In a build environment, the profile information(dpi file) is part of source control and if we want to check the effect of profiling on a function, the command line option for disabling would be a better choice.

In a function having memcpy, calling intel_vec_memcpy or intel_fast_memcpy would be dependent on profiling and the corresponding performance variation.

Thanks,
Hrishi

0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee
Quoting - hhegde

You may try /Qoption,prof,"exclude_function=blah,foo,bar" to pass the option to profmerge. Though I have not tried it myself. Please post your finding as it will inforative and will help others.
0 Kudos