Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Does Intel c++ run on Linux, and does it do 64 bit?

joncamp1
Beginner
I'm new to Intel c++... I run Linux and Windows, but do most of my development on Linux. Does the Intel c++ compiler run on Linux? and is it 64 bit?does it compile on AMD64?
How much is it?
Thanks much,
Jon
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee
Hi Jon,

Intel provides the following C++ Compilers:

1- Intel C++ Compiler for 32-bit Applications
The above compiler is available for both Windows and Linux

2- Intel C++ Compiler for EM64T-based Applications
The above compiler is a 64-bit compiler that's available for both Windows and Linux. The compiler can generate 64-bit code that runs on AMD64 and Intel processors with EM64T (Extended Memory 64 Technology which is equivalent to AMD's 64-bit CPUs). On Windows, you can install the 64-bit version of the Compiler on a system with a 64-bit OS (e.g. Windows server 2003 or Windows XP 64-bit). OR, you can install the cross compiler on a 32-bit processor with 32-bit Windows XP and be able to compile and generate 64-bit code that you can then run on a 64-bit processor (Intel or AMD64). It's called a cross compiler because it allows you to build 64-bit binaries on a 32-bit processor with a 32-bit Operating system. There are no cross compilers available on Linux so you'd need to install the 64-bit version of the compiler on a 64-bit processor and OS.

3- Intel C++ Compiler for Itanium-based Applications
The above compiler installs on a system with an Intel Itanium processor with a 64-bit operating system (Linux or Windows) and generates 64-bit code that only runs on Itanium processors.

4- Intel C++ Compiler for the Mac OS*
The above compiler runs on 32-bit Intel-based Apple Mac systems and generate 32-bit universal binaries that can run on the Intel-based Mac systems as well as the old PowerPC-based Mac systems.

You can get purchase/price as well as more information about the compiler system requirements at http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/compilers/284132.htm

Best Regards,
Mark Sabahi

0 Kudos