Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Does icc come with a separate assembler?

Yang__Richard
Beginner

From `grep -A5 'icc"' <(strace -eopenat icc 2>&1)`

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.1.144/linux/bin/intel64/icc", O_RDONLY) = 3
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.1.144/linux/bin/intel64/mcpcom", O_RDONLY) = 3
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.1.144/linux/bin/intel64/mcpcom", O_RDONLY) = 3
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.1.144/linux/bin/intel64/as", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.1.144/linux/bin/intel64/profmerge", O_RDONLY) = 3
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.1.144/linux/bin/intel64/icc.cfg", O_RDONLY) = 3

Key line:

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.1.144/linux/bin/intel64/as", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Why is icc looking for `as` and what is it for?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimP
Honored Contributor III

icc requires a working installation of gcc on path. 'as' would not normally be present within the icc installation, as it would be found using the paths of the gcc installation.  Situations where icc would invoke as rather than direct code generation might be analogous to gcc; I don't know whether there are distinctions.  I'm guessing there is a facility here to permit you to specify a different as for an icc command from the one which gcc uses;  I've not seen this documented.

I'm not sufficiently familiar with strace to guess what you are trying to do here.

0 Kudos