Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Encountring warning when building a project with Intel Intel(R) 64 C++ Compiler

Vishal_Sharma
Beginner
Hello,

I encounter the following warning when building a project with Intel Intel 64 C++ Compiler.

**** WARNING: The "Release" Configuration may not build ****
**** because it uses the "Intel Toolchain for Executable on Intel 64" ****
**** tool-chain that is unsupported on this system. ****

I am using Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.0 for Linux* OS Build id: 20100923.

What does this warning mean? The server where I build my code is an IA 64bit machine.

Regards.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
IA-64 can mean Itanium architecture which is very different from Intel 64 architecture. Make sure you're targeting the right architecture.

The output you're posting does not come from our compiler, and I don't recognize it offhand. It would take some research into the tool/component that is really emitting this message to find out why it's complaining.
0 Kudos
Vishal_Sharma
Beginner
Maybe some additional information from my end would help. Here is the cpuinfo from the machine which I am building my project on:
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 26
model name : Intel Xeon CPU X5570 @ 2.93GHz
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 1600.000
cache size : 8192 KB
physical id : 1
siblings : 8vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 26
model name : Intel Xeon CPU X5570 @ 2.93GHz
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 1600.000
cache size : 8192 KB
physical id : 1
siblings : 8
core id : 3
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 23
initial apicid : 23
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 11
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips : 5865.84
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

core id : 3
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 23
initial apicid : 23
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 11
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips : 5865.84
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

This is clearly indication that I am on Inel 64 architecture. Also, I am using Intel compiler integrated with Eclipse IDE on RHEL 6. I have checked the project properties. Nothing stands out.
0 Kudos
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee
Are you able to build a simple hello program with 64-bit icc from a shell window?

--mark
0 Kudos
Miwako_T_Intel
Employee

>The output you're posting does not come from our compiler

Yes, it comes from Eclipse.

But I am not sure why you're getting the warning, though.

One condition that would cause this message is that the intel64 compiler isnt available on the system anymore, though it was when the project was created.

Eclipse integration determines the location of the compiler from the PATH (set by the compilervars_arch.(c)sh), rpm qa output, and the content of intel/intel_sdp_products.db.

So, if you installed the compiler but renamed the installation directory, for examle, the integration wont be able to find the compiler and you will get the warning. If you ran compilervars_arch.(c)sh or set PATH to a compiler binary, though, the intgration still will be able to find the compiler so you wouldn't be getting the warning.
Youd also get it if you deleted the compiler from the system.

Another condition that would cause this message is that the integration somehow thinks it's not running on Intel 64. I highly suspect this is not the case.

0 Kudos
Vishal_Sharma
Beginner
This is very well the case. The project that I am building was created using Eclipse and was built using the older version of Intel C++ compiler. I have since upgraded the OS from RHEL 5 to RHEL 6 and also have upgraded to the latest version of the Intel C++ Compiler. Due to this the installation directory changed. Thus Eclipse is generaing the warning. But it is still able to locate the new compiler and build the project successfully.
0 Kudos
Miwako_T_Intel
Employee

OK.
Unfortunately, the warning message is issued by Eclipse itself(not our Eclipse integration) and we can't change the text. If you have suggestion for a better text, I can try submitting a bug report to Eclipse.

0 Kudos