Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Error Compiling VTK with ICC in "Release Mode"

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
I am trying to compile VTK (www.vtk.org) with ICC on OS X 10.4.11. I have the latest ICC (10.1.009) installed. The errors can be found here:

The problem code seems to be a template function in the vtkVarient.cxx code.

That source file can be found here:

The offending method is ToNumeric(...).

The compile will succeed in Debug mode (-gdwarf-2) but fail in "Release" mode (-03).

The compile also fails on Linux 64 using the latest ICC for Linux.

Could someone help me figure out what the problem is? This same code seems to compile with GCC, VS2003, VS 2005, xlC, Borland, cygwin and MinGW.

Thanks
Mike Jackson
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Quoc-An_L_Intel

If this is a compilation error,create a preprocess file and submit a bug to https://premier.intel.com

The support team should be able to help you.

0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel

I downloaded VTK-5.0.4 and cmake-2.4.8 and built VTK with Intel Compiler for Mac OS X 10.1.014.

I didn't see any errors. I was not able to find VTKvarient.cxx though.

0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Couple things. First, thanks for taking the time to try this out. Next, I haven't tried the latest icc 10.1.014 yet so that might make a difference. Also, I think you will need to check out the latest VTK from their cvs server and try to compile that.

Note that when you run cmake (if you are NOT familiar with cmake) to set the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE to "Release". The compile works in "Debug" mode.

Thanks
Mike Jackson
0 Kudos
Quoc-An_L_Intel

I am behind a firewall, so I can't check out stuff. The lastest source release that I can download from www.vtk.org is version 5.0.4.

I am not familiar with cmake. I'll take a look again if you can provide all the steps neccessary with cmake to reproduce the problem.

It would be easiest if you can preprocessed the file vtkVarient.cxx and attached it here with the command line options to reproduce the problem.

0 Kudos