Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Error compililing qhull library with icc & icpc

psing51
New Contributor I

I am trying to compile octave with intel compilers.I am facing trouble building downloaded qhull-2012.1-src.tgz dependency for octave.
now while trying to compile the qhull package (with cmake)
cmake .. -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=icpc -DCMAKE_CC_COMPILER=icc
i get following error:

In file included from /usr/include/limits.h:125,
                 from /home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/qhull_a.h:42,
                 from /home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:19:
/opt/intel/include/limits.h:36:54: error: missing binary operator before token "("
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c: In function ‘qh_clear_outputflags’:
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:182: error: ‘DBL_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:182: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:182: error: for each function it appears in.)
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c: In function ‘qh_initflags’:
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:1411: error: ‘DBL_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c: In function ‘qh_initqhull_buffers’:
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:1443: error: ‘DBL_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c: In function ‘qh_initqhull_globals’:
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:1495: error: ‘DBL_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:1523: error: ‘DBL_EPSILON’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c: In function ‘qh_initqhull_outputflags’:
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:1714: error: ‘DBL_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c: In function ‘qh_initqhull_start2’:
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:1858: error: ‘DBL_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:1869: error: ‘DBL_MIN’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c: In function ‘qh_initthresholds’:
/home/puneet/OCTAVE/qhull-2012.1/src/libqhull/global.c:2002: error: ‘DBL_MAX’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/libqhull.dir/src/libqhull/global.c.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/libqhull.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

But , the package builds suceeds once i unexport intel compiler paths, from my environment;

version=5.0.1.035
source /opt/intel/mkl/bin/mklvars.sh intel64
source /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64
source /opt/intel/impi/$version/intel64/bin/mpivars.sh intel64

Where am i going wrong? Any help/hint will be very useful,
Eagerly awaiting your reply,

Regards,
Puneet Singh

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Did you examine the suspect limits.h for possible corruption or problem with processing of defines?

I suppose, on your platform installation, the linux supplied <limits.h> may be OK, at least for this application.

The subsequent errors appear to be symptoms of missing a required #include <float.h>

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

There is no "missing binary operator" diagnostic in the Intel compiler. This is a diagnostic from gcc.

So you must be compiling with a version of gcc older than 5.0 and they do not have support the __has_include_next directive which is used in our limits.h header.

Judy

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

That's correct Judy, I realized that as well.  Presently, the latest version of ICC 15.0 update 2 that's out officially supports GCC versions through 4.9 only.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,
Please let me know if that's the case, thanks.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

While it is true that the current version of ICC only supports 4.9 that's not the problem here. The problem is that you can't compile an Intel supplied header file with gcc. I think the customer needs to set something differently to compile the library with icpc (i.e. -DCMAKE_CC_COMPILER=icc is not enough or is not working as expected).

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

More exactly, it may mean that gcc or g++ aren't able to pre-process the icc/icpc include files.  If you keep a log of your build, you should be able to see which tool is pre-processing.  If your cmakefile chooses the pre-processor, you may have an inconsistent choice.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

That's a good point Judy/Tim, makes sense.

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi Puneet,
Is this still an issue? Or does the previous communication(s) help? Thanks

_Kittur

0 Kudos