Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Error when compiling with -ipo

Richard_Geary
Beginner

Hello,

I ran into a strange error this week using -ipo, for linux, icc12.1. It happens to 13.0 too.  I isolated it into the following command line:

icpc12.1 -ipo -o a.t -Wl,--start-group -Wl,--end-group liba.a a.t.o

The liba.a and a.t.o were both compiled with -ipo.  The "-Wl,--start-group -Wl,--end-group" causes the compiler to abort with the following:

(0): internal error: backend signals message.
icpc: error #10014: problem during multi-file optimization compilation (code 4)

Removing the "-Wl,--start-group -Wl,--end-group" solves the problem.  But I can't always remove them when building real projects with some legacy code. The issue prevents us from turning on ipo optimization.  I enclosed the a.t.o, liba.a, and a.o files. Please help.

Thanks,

Wei

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello, I was able to reproduce the problem and forwarded it to engineering (DPD200240530). Unfortunately I was not able to find a workaround for your case. As soon as I hear back from engineering I'll let you know. Btw.: I don't see the files you might have enclosed -- they are not needed here anyways, as it already fails with a simple test case. Best regards, Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
Richard_Geary
Beginner

Georg,

Thank you for the response. I probably forgot to click the start upload button, thus missing the attachment.

Wei

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello, The described problem is fixed with the next update: Intel(R) Composer XE 2013 Update 3 (edit: fixed typo 2011->2013) Best regards, Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
Richard_Geary
Beginner

Georg,

Thank you for the update. Do you mean Composer XE 2013 update 3?  Also, a coworker observed the same message when using -prof-use. Will the same fix apply to that case as well?

Wei

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello Wei, you're right, this is a typo. It's Intel(R) Composer XE 2013 Update 3. To avoid confusion I've corrected it above. The fix applies in general, so yes, also for using PGO. Please let us know if you find further problems. Thank you & best regards, Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
Richard_Geary
Beginner

Georg,

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

Wei

0 Kudos