Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Evaluating expressions does not work in idb when application is build Intel toolchain v12

Enzo
Beginner

Hi,

Not surethis forumthe properone for this thread but here you go anyway.

I'm currently using Intel C++ Composer for Linux update 3, version 2011.3.174 for development and I came across a problem while trying to debug my application.

In Eclipse, I set the toolchain to be Intel v12 and compile with the correct debugging options and link my code. Then, if I want to debug it an do some step by step execution, I call idb (GUI) from a terminal and load the binary of application.The things is, when I add a variable that I want to watch in the Evaluation window, the debugger does not show the current value of the variable and instead displays 'there's no object in current context' or something like that. After couple of hours of searching for a solution of the problem, I found that if I compile my code with the GCC toolchain, i can see any objects that I select in the Evaluation windows. I made sure all the compiler settings a correctly set in both toolchain settings.

What could be the cause of such a behaviour ? Does the INtel toochain requires special setting ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

LM

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Enzo
Beginner
Hi,

I've posted this thread 6 days ago and no reply yet. Nobody has encountered this problem before ? Does anyone has any clue about this (what about you guys from Intel) ?

Cheers,
LM
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Leonard,

Is this an optimized build (-O1 or above) or are you using -O0? Optimizations can sometimes remove or registerize references to variables in ways that hide them from debuggers. If this is optimized, try adding -debug extended to your compilation options and see if that helps.
0 Kudos