Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Exception problem

aurora_s
Beginner
Hi,
Im having problems with exception propagation through dll boundaries.
In my main function I've implemented a try/catch statment with a catch(int a) and the default catch(...).
Inside the try, I call another function that is imported from a shared library, but when an exception is raised there (say "throw 1"), the try/catch of the main function doesnt see the type of the exception, and uses the default catch.
If I do the same thing but without crossing the dll boundaries, all is OK.
I've checked that the runtime library is the same (/MDd) in both places.
Version: 11.1.070
Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dale_S_Intel
Employee
Any chance you could come up with a small runnable test case that illustrates the problem?
Thanks!

Dale
0 Kudos
aurora_s
Beginner
I've already done a "small runnable test case", but it works fine, so I want to know if there is any typical newbie-user issue with this. The schema looks like this:
-----------------------------------------------------
//The .exe imports a .lib with another function
extern "C++"{
int main(){
try{
f();
} catch(int asdf){
}catch(...)
{
..... //It always use this catch
}
}
}
------------------------------------------------------
//In the dll
extern "C++"{
int f(){
throw 1;
}
}
-------------------------------------------------------
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee
In your original case, does it work as you expect when you compile with Microsoft's compiler?
Dale
0 Kudos
aurora_s
Beginner
With the vsc compiler, it crashes when I do "throw 1" with the message:

"Unhandled exception at 0x6165934c (msvcp90d.dll) in HP_import.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xffffffffffffffff."
0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee
So you see similar behavior with the Microsoft compiler as with the Intel compiler?
Dale
0 Kudos
aurora_s
Beginner
When "throw 1" ... in intel compiler it jump to the default catch statment and in vsc++ compiler, the whole application crashes.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Dale_S_Intel
Employee
Ah, so just to be clear, the desired behavior is that the throw 1 in the callee (which passes through one or more dll boundaries) should be caught by the catch in main, not the default handler. If I understand correctly, that's what happens with no dll's involved, but across dll's, the icl built binary will catch in the default handler, while the MS built binary will crash, i.e. not catch it anywhere?
0 Kudos
aurora_s
Beginner
Yes, that's it! :)
0 Kudos