Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Fatal compilatrion error ICC on Ubuntu 22

degennar
Beginner

Hello,

I have been using the Intel Fortran and C++ compilers for many years on Ubuntu, thanks to the license that I have access to through the institution where I work as researcher.

A few days ago, I upgraded Ubuntu from v20 to v22, and since then I encountered many issues when compiling with ICC. In the following I report the error:

icc -O3 -D__DFTI -D__MPI -I. -I/home/degennar/CODES/koopmans/quantum_espresso/q-e//include -I/home/degennar/CODES/koopmans/quantum_espresso/q-e//FoX/finclude  -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2020.4.304/linux/mkl/include   -c copy.c
In file included from copy.c(3):
/usr/include/stdio.h(189): error: attribute "__malloc__" does not take arguments
    __attribute_malloc__ __attr_dealloc_fclose __wur;
                         ^

/usr/include/stdio.h(223): error: attribute "__malloc__" does not take arguments
     __THROW __attribute_malloc__ __wur __attr_dealloc_free;
                                        ^

/usr/include/stdio.h(260): error: attribute "__malloc__" does not take arguments
                         ^

/usr/include/stdio.h(294): error: attribute "__malloc__" does not take arguments
                         ^

/usr/include/stdio.h(309): error: attribute "__malloc__" does not take arguments
    __THROW __attribute_malloc__ __attr_dealloc_fclose __wur;
                                 ^

/usr/include/stdio.h(315): error: attribute "__malloc__" does not take arguments
                         ^

/usr/include/stdio.h(830): error: attribute "__malloc__" does not take arguments
    __attribute_malloc__ __attr_dealloc (pclose, 1) __wur;
                         ^

In file included from copy.c(4):
/usr/include/stdlib.h(566): error: attribute "__malloc__" does not take arguments
      __attr_dealloc_free;
      ^

In file included from copy.c(4):
/usr/include/stdlib.h(570): error: attribute "__malloc__" does not take arguments
       __THROW __attr_dealloc (reallocarray, 1);
               ^

compilation aborted for copy.c (code 2)

This problem was not showing up before upgrading to Ubuntu 22. Are you aware of any issues when using the Intel compilers on the latest Ubuntu.

For reference I am using the compilers from Parallel Studio XE 2020.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PriyanshuK_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

Unfortunately Ubuntu v22 is not supported by Intel Classic compiler.

Please refer to below link for supported system requirements:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/system-requirements/oneapi-c-compiler-system-requirements.html

Could you please try with supported version and let us know if you still face any issues with the compiler. 

Thanks,

Priyanshu

0 Kudos
degennar
Beginner

Dear Priyanshu,

Thanks for the reply.

Before upgrading to Ubuntu 22 I was using using Ubuntu 20 (which is one of the supported versions). There I did not have any problems with the Intel compilers, whereas the issue that I am having now appeared only when upgrading to v22.

Do you any idea about when Ubuntu 22 will be supported as well?

Thanks!

Riccardo

0 Kudos
PriyanshuK_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for the confirmation.

>>Do you have any idea about when Ubuntu 22 will be supported as well?

We are not sure of the ETA for ICC being supported on Ubuntu 2022 but you could always check the release note for your reference:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/release-notes/oneapi-c-compiler-release-notes.html

Thanks,

Priyanshu

0 Kudos
PriyanshuK_Intel

Hi,

Could you please confirm whether your issue is resolved or not.

Thanks,

Priyanshu.

0 Kudos