Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7943 Discussions

Forced to integrate with Visual Studio now?

Chris_A_Intel
Employee

With C Pro 11.1 Update 4, I was able to do a custom install and deselect Integration(s) in MS Visual Studio, Intel Parallel Debugger Extension and Integrated Documentation and then uncheck the boxes for Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 in order to not integrate them.

However, with 11.1 update 5, even if I deselect the same 3 options, I am unable to uncheck any boxes for Integration with Visual Studio, I am forced to either chose 2005 or 2008 or else I cannot proceed with the install.

-EDIT- I just verified that I cannot uninstall VS before installing ICC...so now I need help with this even more. If I install ICC 11.1 update 5 integrated with VS 2005 and 2008, then install Intel Parallel Studio, will there be any problems? The goal here is to use Parallel Studio, but the customer also needs Intel C Compiler Pro installed, and prefers the newest versions, and does not want ICC integrated with VS.

I am installing on Windows 7, 32 and 64 bit.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee

HI Chris,

I received your issue in Premier Support too, so I will communicate with you primarily there, but to sum up my update here I see the same behavior between the Intel C++ Compiler Professional edition update 4 and update 5, and I would also note that the screen you're talking about doesn't affect the IDE integration, so from the customer point of view is likely not a concern. That installation screen only affects the compatibility mode used for the compiler from the command-line which would be specific to 11.1 and not impact the Intel Parallel Studio installation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee

HI Chris,

I received your issue in Premier Support too, so I will communicate with you primarily there, but to sum up my update here I see the same behavior between the Intel C++ Compiler Professional edition update 4 and update 5, and I would also note that the screen you're talking about doesn't affect the IDE integration, so from the customer point of view is likely not a concern. That installation screen only affects the compatibility mode used for the compiler from the command-line which would be specific to 11.1 and not impact the Intel Parallel Studio installation.

0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I

Since I faced a similar problem and reported it to our lovely Jennifer via email (I wanted to be able to deselect 64-bit compiler and debugger) let me help you out with your issue while Intel gets their act together :)

If you unpack composer_update5_setup.exe manually (or allow it to unpack but cancel installation), all you need to do is to go to the folder where you unpacked it, and in subfolder 1033 edit file mediaconfig.xml.

Look for the component name you want to be able to uncheck, find its mandatory="1" attribute, and change it to mandatory="". Then you will be able to unselect that component to prevent it from installing.

0 Kudos