Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7953 Discussions

GNULIB compilation error with Intel 2016.1.150 and 2016.2.181

Balazs_H_
Beginner

Dear All,

I am trying to use and compile GNUlib libraries using the above mentioned compilers (actually, I am trying to comple Octave, but the problem is related to GNULIB.)

Meanwhile I am able to compile with the 2015 compilers, the 2016 compilers give the following error 

make[3]: Entering directory `/tmp/hajgato/build/Octave/4.0.0/intel-2016a/octave-4.0.0/liboctave' 
CXX array/array_libarray_la-Array-b.lo 
icpc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-Wold-style-cast' 
icpc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-Wcast-align' 
In file included from /usr/include/sys/types.h(220), 
from ../libgnu/sys/types.h(28), 
from /usr/include/stdlib.h(320), 
from ../libgnu/stdlib.h(36), 
from /vsc/apps/brussel/ivybridge/software/GCCcore/4.9.3/bin/../include/c++/4.9.3/cstdlib(72), 
from /vsc/apps/brussel/ivybridge/software/GCCcore/4.9.3/bin/../include/c++/4.9.3/bits/stl_algo.h(59), 
from /vsc/apps/brussel/ivybridge/software/GCCcore/4.9.3/bin/../include/c++/4.9.3/algorithm(62), 
from array/Array.h(32), 
from array/Array-b.cc(29): 
../libgnu/sys/select.h(598): error: declaration is incompatible with previous "select" (declared at line 109 of "/usr/include/sys/select.h") 
_GL_CXXALIAS_SYS (select, int, 

compilation aborted for array/Array-b.cc (code 2) 
make[3]: *** [array/array_libarray_la-Array-b.lo] Error 1 
make[3]: Leaving directory `/tmp/hajgato/build/Octave/4.0.0/intel-2016a/octave-4.0.0/liboctave' 
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/hajgato/build/Octave/4.0.0/intel-2016a/octave-4.0.0/liboctave' 
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1 
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/hajgato/build/Octave/4.0.0/intel-2016a/octave-4.0.0' 
make: *** [all] Error 2 

The part of the header files where the problem is (after preporcessing):

./libgnu/sys/select.h:

./libgnu/sys/select.h(599): error: declaration is incompatible with previous "select" (declared at line 109 of "/usr/include/sys/select.h")

namespace gnulib { static int (*select) (int, fd_set *, fd_set *, fd_set *, struct timeval *) = ::select; } extern "C" int _gl_cxxalias_dummy;
                               ^
compilation aborted for pp.c (code 2)

/usr/include/sys/select.h:

extern "C" {

extern int select (int __nfds, fd_set *__restrict __readfds,
		   fd_set *__restrict __writefds,
		   fd_set *__restrict __exceptfds,
		   struct timeval *__restrict __timeout);

extern int pselect (int __nfds, fd_set *__restrict __readfds,
		    fd_set *__restrict __writefds,
		    fd_set *__restrict __exceptfds,
		    const struct timespec *__restrict __timeout,
		    const __sigset_t *__restrict __sigmask);

}

(line 109 starts with extern int select .....

Is this a bug in the 2016 version of intel compilers or some standard were more precisely implemented? Again version 2015 compilers do not have this error, the code compiles without any problems.

There is a small testporgram (submitted on the Octave bug forum): http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?47373

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

Yes i can reproduce the problem, I opened DPD200408195 in our internal bugs tracking database.

Thank you for reporting this. --Melanie

0 Kudos
Hoste__Kenneth
Beginner

I am also hit by this problem...

Is it confirmed this is a bug in the 2016 versions of the Intel compilers?

If so, is there any workaround available, like using a particular compiler flag, etc.?

0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

There's no workaround for the compiler bug.  We expect to have this issue fixed in our next update.

If you omit the option -DGNULIB_NAMESPACE=gnulib to the gnulib build, then the issue isn't seen. (I don't know if it's possible for you to build it this way.)

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Thanks Melanie, as always.  I'll monitor the issue and keep the @kehoste updated on the release with the fix when out - appreciate much.

Cheers,
Kittur

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi,
Just letting you know that this issue is fixed in the 16.0.3 (update 3) release that was out this week which you can download from the Intel Registration Center and  test it out, thanks.

Regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos