Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

Have libstdc++.so.6 - install complains missing libstdc++.so.5 ?

eesutton
Beginner
Do I really need to go back to using libstdc++.so.5 or is there some way I can have both?

I have:

g++ --version
g++ (GCC) 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)

Thanks in advance,

-Ed

Sorry if posted twice. First time I thought I did a Preview and saw no way of submitting from preview.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KitturGanesh
Employee
Hi Ed,

The next release (12.0) of the compiler should work fine with libstdc++.so.6 but for now you'll still need the .so.5 version. Please refer to the same question discussed in this thread http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=78226

-regards,
Kittur
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Ron's instructions on Fedora installation of 11.1 compilers may be more helpful, in case you don't want to sort out the total changes of subject on that thread. Yes, both the old and new stdc++ shared objects will coexist.
0 Kudos
eesutton
Beginner
Thanks I figured it out.

On Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.2 with gcc/c++ 4.1.2 installed, all I had to do was install compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3 RPM from the RedHat install disk and the ICC compiler install was happy. The compat-libstdc++-33 package contains "/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5" and "/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7".

Thanks for the links!

-Ed
0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee
Great, nice to know the problem's resolved Ed...
_Cheers,
Kittur
0 Kudos