Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

Help with vTune

Derek_Woodman
Beginner

I'm trying to profile an application I wrote using the ICC. I'm using the ippi library as well as ipps to malloc data. If used windowing, fft, mat_mul, and ifft. I have the application running and it is dramitically faster. However, I can't really prove it. When I launch vTune. I can run Sampling Activity and the First Use Wizard. However, after they run, I don't know how to get information about the runtime of my application. I can see my application in a list of a lot of other applications. It tells me stuff like the process id and the process path. I'm only concerned with the run time of my paricular application. vTune is advertized saying that you can see how much time each line in your application uses. Where is this?

Also, whenever i try to do a Callgraph I get this in the console of the GUI:

Tue Jan 26 16:36:47 2010 Reading property files started...

Tue Jan 26 16:36:47 2010 Error in module "libippcoreem64t.so.6.1" - Module was not found or is not an ELF image.
Tue Jan 26 16:36:47 2010 Error in module "libippcoreem64t.so.6.1" - Module was not found or is not an ELF image.
Tue Jan 26 16:36:47 2010 Error in module "libippiem64t.so.6.1" - Module was not found or is not an ELF image.
Tue Jan 26 16:36:47 2010 Error in module "libippiem64t.so.6.1" - Module was not found or is not an ELF image.
Tue Jan 26 16:36:47 2010 Error in module "libippsem64t.so.6.1" - Module was not found or is not an ELF image.
Tue Jan 26 16:36:47 2010 Error in module "libippsem64t.so.6.1" - Module was not found or is not an ELF image.
Tue Jan 26 16:36:47 2010 Reading property files failed.

Tue Jan 26 16:36:47 2010 Call Graph collection was cancelled.
Tue Jan 26 16:36:47 2010 Call graph project is empty or does not exist
Tue Jan 26 16:36:48 2010 WARNING: no module of interest was loaded during activity

I'm thoroughly confused. I'm telling it what application to run. How do I get the profiling information details for that program?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You're getting into enough VTune details that it might be answered better on the VTune forum. I would think the call graph isn't a suitable way to get the answer you said you wanted.

If you simply wish to show the effect on overall execution time, you would simply use a shell time function (windows analogue Timethis.exe).

With VTune event sampling, if your test spends sufficient time in this function, you would compare the time spent in the function without use of ipp to the time spent in that function plus the time spent in the ipp function in the optimized version. It's possible this may work better when you static link the ipp; also possible static link may have some effect on the performance.

It may work better simply to put timing calls around the code segment of interest. You might use _rdtsc(). A brief session with a search engine will turn up many interesting posts on the pros (and more on the cons) of this and alternatives.

0 Kudos