Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

How are array allocation size computed when overloading new [] operator ?

Plougonven__Brendan

Hello All, 

We upgraded from Intel compiler XE 2011 to the most recent version, 2020, and noticed an change that is blocking the upgrade. 

We've developed our own specific memory allocator, and therefore we overload the new and delete operator in our classes. My question is about the way the size of the allocation, passed to the new[] () operator, is computed when allocating an array of objects whose class have a destructor. For example:

class Foo {
private:
    int        a_ = { 0 };

public:
    Foo(int a = 0) a_(a) { ; }
    ~Foo() {
        // ... do something
    }

void* operator new[](std::size_t count) {
        void* ptr = nullptr;
        // Allocate memory for the array
        return ptr;
    }
};

int main() {
    Foo* pFoo = new Foo[1];
}

If the class does not have destructor, the allocation size passed onto the new[] operator, count, is straightforward: it's the number of allocated objects multiplied by the size of the class: N x sizeof(Foo)

If the Foo class defines a destructor, then the allocation is N x sizeof(Foo) + offset. I believe the offset is to store a pointer to the destructor. With Intel 2011, when compiling on Windows 64bits, this offset was always 8 bytes. But with Intel compiler 2020, it varies. If the size of the class is smaller than 8 bytes, then the offset is 4 bytes. Otherwise it's 8 bytes as before.

Is there an explanation for that offset  ? And can it be changed so that the offset is constant as before ?

I tried with Visual Studio 2019, and the offset is always 8 bytes. 

I include a small testcase that shows the behavior.  

Thanks for any info on that subject,

Brendan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GouthamK_Intel

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

We understood the issue that you are facing, we are working on your code.

We will discuss this with the concerned engineering team and we will get back to you.

Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

I don't have boost installed on my system. Can you provide another testcase that independent to boost? And also what results you got for Microsoft compiler?

0 Kudos
Plougonven__Brendan

Hello,

I've uploaded an updated testcase which does not use boost.

In the uploaded zip file i've included the output using the Intel compiler and the output using Visual Studio 2019. Note that when allocating an array of objects, with VS2019, the 'alloc size' is always equal to N x sizeof(BooT or FooT) + 8. But with the Intel compiler it's N x sizeof(BooT or FooT) + 4 if the sizeof(BooT or FooT) is lower than 8 bytes and it's N x sizeof(BooT or FooT) + 8 if the sizeof(BooT or FooT) is equal to or greater than 8 bytes.

Do you know why the offset varies between 4 and 8 bytes ? Is this related to some memory alignment option ? And is there a compiler option to configure this behavior ?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Thanks for the testcase. I'll look into it.

0 Kudos
GouthamK_Intel

Hi,

Closing as per your request as we have resolved your issue in the priority support.

Thanks & Regards

Goutham

0 Kudos