Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

How do I get the compiler to pick up the C++11 header files on Mac OS X?

zzcgumn
Beginner
What do I need to do to get something like this to compile on Mac OS X?
#include
#include
int main(int argc, char * argv[]) {
std::unique_ptr aUniqueNumber(new int);
*aUniqueNumber = 42;
std::cout << "Has anyone thought about this number " <<< " before?" << std::endl;
return 0;
}
I have managed to find the -std=c++0x flag but failed to get the compiler to pick up the right version of the standard libraries.
Apologies for any newbie mistakes in formatting or not finding answers that are readily available elsewhere.
Thanks,
Martin
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

What error are you seeing?

What version of g++ is installed on your system (do a g++ -v)?

Our compileruses the standard libraries installed on the operating system and older versions of g++ (older than version 4.4)do not have support for C++11.
0 Kudos
zzcgumn
Beginner
Compiling the above gives the error
error: namespace "std" has no member "unique_ptr"
so the compiler has clearly not found a C++11 compliant version of the standard library.
The system version of g++ is 4.2.1 as tweaked by Apple and they are not likely to ever ship a newer version of g++. They are commited to clang/llvm and would get into trouble with the GPL3 license if they adapted and shipped the current version of g++.
I have g++ version 4.6 installed, and clang does also have C++11 versions of the standard library.
Thanks,
Martin
0 Kudos
Brandon_H_Intel
Employee
Another alternative might be to use Boost* or a similar third party C++ library that supports C++11. The Intel compiler mostly relies on the native library for runtime support - we only provide specific runtime support ourselves where we think we can add performance like with math functions or memory routines.
0 Kudos
zzcgumn
Beginner
After some frustration I think it is fair to say that it is not possible to get the Intel C++ compiler to work with either the LLVM libc++ libraries or boost. I were to advise Intel I would recommend you to try to get your compiler to work together with LLVM libc++ libraries, it would surprise me if that does not give a significant increase in the number of Mac OS X developers that are prepared to pay for your software.
In the end what I had to do was to install g++ 4.5, with macports installed the command is sudo port install gcc45 If you are compiling from the command line you can now compile with GCC 4.5 libraries like this
icc -gxx-name=/opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.5 -std=c++0x foo.cpp
To compile from Xcode we need to make sure that icc can find g++-mp-4.5 from a directory that is in the developer environment path. There are surely more than one way to do this, but I succeeded by adding a soft link
/Developer/usr/bin.
cd /Developer/usr/bin ln -s /opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.5 .
In the Xcode project, make sure that that ANSI C Conformance flag is set to "Accept ANSI ISO C++0X extensions". Add -gxx-name=g++-mp-4.5 to the additional c++ flags.
0 Kudos