Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

How to Get a new License File

Paul_S_3
Beginner

Hello all.  My student license for Intel Parallel Studio XE Professional Edition for C++ Windows has expired after its one year lifespan.  How do I get a new license file for another year (I'm still a student).  On the webpage https://software.intel.com/en-us/qualify-for-free-software/student it appears that I can only download new software, not simply a new license file.  I'd rather avoid downloading the entire package all over again, and would prefer to continue using the 2015 version that I already have.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Paul,
If you read the student FAQ, you can reapply after the 12 month period expires. That said, once you reapply you'll see the following:

"The product installer will automatically detect system settings to activate this product. You must be connected to the Internet to use this automatic activation. If you need to acquire your license file now, for offline installation, please click here to provide your host information and download your license file."

Go to the link "here" above and get the license file for the offload installer.  The license file should be compatible with your 15.X version as well.
So, you can put that license file in the /opt/intel/licenses folder if you'd installed the 15.X as root or wherever on your system. You can then set the environment variable INTEL_LICENSE_FILE to the path where the new license is found (make sure to export that env variable) and your 15.X product should work off that license file. This is the workaround I can think of which should work. Let me know otherwise.

Kittur

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Paul,
If you read the student FAQ, you can reapply after the 12 month period expires. That said, once you reapply you'll see the following:

"The product installer will automatically detect system settings to activate this product. You must be connected to the Internet to use this automatic activation. If you need to acquire your license file now, for offline installation, please click here to provide your host information and download your license file."

Go to the link "here" above and get the license file for the offload installer.  The license file should be compatible with your 15.X version as well.
So, you can put that license file in the /opt/intel/licenses folder if you'd installed the 15.X as root or wherever on your system. You can then set the environment variable INTEL_LICENSE_FILE to the path where the new license is found (make sure to export that env variable) and your 15.X product should work off that license file. This is the workaround I can think of which should work. Let me know otherwise.

Kittur

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

BTW, in that page where it says you can "provide your host info and download your license file" you can just download the license file and don't download the product since you want to use the 15.X version.

Kittur

0 Kudos
Paul_S_3
Beginner

Thank you for your help, Kittur.  It is greatly appreciated.  I simply downloaded the license file as you said, and put it in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Licenses directory and removed the old license file.  The environment variable was already set for this directory so no other changes were required.  Everything appears to be working fine now.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Great Paul, glad to know it worked fine! That said, please note that there are a lot of new features that has gone into 16.X release (presently update 2). You might want to look at those features which might of interest to you as well. Additionally many bug fixes have gone in too. I suggest you install the latest 16.0 update 2 version when you do get time as it shouldn't take too long to just install the compiler which you can select during install.

Regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos