Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to add openmp pragma in macro definitions? error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _Pragma

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I have macro definition in which I need add "pragam omp parallel" so I followed gcc function/macro _Pragma("omp parallel") as below .... 

#include <omp.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>
#include "mest_cmat.h"
#include "cmat_utils.h"

#ifdef COMPILER_INTEL64
#define SIMCOL  ;
#else
#define SIMCOL
#endif

#ifdef USE_OPENMP
#define OMP_PARALLEL	_Pragma("omp parallel ") SIMCOL
#define OMP_FOR    _Pragma("omp for ") SIMCOL
#else
#define OMP_PARALLEL
#define OMP_FOR
#endif

// wraplatitude
#define mac_wraplatitude_loop(V) 										\
int wraplatitude_loop_##V(cmatrix_##V lat, float pideg){				\
    OMP_PARALLEL                                                        \
    {                                                                   \
    /*printf("\n\n*** Max Thread No. : %d, Thread no: %d *** \n\n", omp_get_max_threads(), omp_get_num_threads()); */ \
    OMP_FOR                                                             \
	for(int i = 0; i < lat.nrows; i++){									\
	    /* if (i % 157 == 0) {int tid = omp_get_thread_num(); putchar('0'+tid);} */     \
		if ( abs(CIJ0(lat, i, 0)) > pideg ){							\
			CIJ0(lat, i, 0) = mod_##V##_dt_single(CIJ0(lat, i, 0) + pideg, 2 * pideg) - pideg; 	\
		}																\
		if ( abs(CIJ0(lat, i, 0)) > (pideg / 2) ){						\
			CIJ0(lat, i, 0) = CIJ0(lat, i, 0) + pideg;					\
			CIJ0(lat, i, 0) = sign_##V( CIJ0(lat, i, 0) ) * (pideg/2-(abs(CIJ0(lat,i,0))-pideg/2));	\
		}																\
	}																	\
    }                                                                   \
	return 0;															\
}

mac_wraplatitude_loop(dt_single)
mac_wraplatitude_loop(dt_double)

The code compiles and runs just fine using QT_MinGW gcc on Windows 10; however if try icl and xilink, the code compiles fine but it doesn't link properly. The compile and link commands are as below:

# compile command
icl -DCOMPILER_GNUC -DCOMPILER_INTEL64   -Qdiag-error-limit:3 -O1 -DDISABLE_SSE -DVL_DISABLE_SSE2  -DDISABLE_AVX -DVL_DISABLE_AVX  -openmp -DUSE_OPENMP -DOMP_NUM_THREADS=5 -DUSE_INTERP2_FAST -DUSE_IMTRANS_FAST -DPRJ_ROOT_DIR="" -Fo:../../Debug/obj/flat2lla_imp.obj -c flat2lla_imp.c

# link command

xilink /nodefaultlib:vcomp libiomp5md.lib -LIBPATH:Debug\lib   -out:Debug/target.exe DEBUG/obj/main_object_file.obj libsome.lib 
xilink: executing 'link'
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 14.26.28806.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

/nodefaultlib:vcomp 
libiomp5md.lib 
-LIBPATH:Debug\lib 
-out:Debug/target.exe 
DEBUG/obj/main_object_file.obj 
libsome.lib(flat2lla_imp.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _Pragma referenced in function wraplatitude_loop_dt_single
Debug\target.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

Any comments is much appreciate it.

Regards

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

SUCCESS ... thanks to you I tried different permutations. It turns out I should use __pragma instead of _Pragma (as used by gcc) and ICC doesn't need the omp construct to be quoted ... so the correct syntax for ICC (icl.exe) must be like below:

#define OMP_PARALLEL __pragma(omp parallel)
#define OMP_FOR __pragma(omp for)

as opposed to below define which is applicable to gcc based compilers (including MinGW, Texas Instrument C6X compiler)

#define OMP_PARALLEL _Pragma("omp parallel")
#define OMP_FOR _Pragma("omp for")

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted

You (may) need to specify option for std=c++11 or later.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Highlighted

std=c++11 is a compile flag not a link one! Though I tried in case but no luck.

Anyway thanks for the comment!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

>>std=c++11 is a compile flag not a link one!

#pragma / _Pragma are compile time directives.

Jim Dempsey

Because you see a Linker error of undefined symbol _Pragma, this indicates that the compiler did not "_Pragma" as a compiler pragma (directive), thus indicating the compiler saw _Pragma as an external function.

Note, some dialects use double _ (__Pragma), as well as lowcase (__pragma). I suggest you experiment with permutations

_Pragma   not working
__Pragma
_pragma
__pragma

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for comments .... I did try

-qstd=c++0x 

-qstd=c99

but the compiler ignores them ...  (warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '/qstd=c99')

I search for omp headers in the icc include folder (C:/Program Files (x86)/IntelSWTools/sw_dev_tools/compilers_and_libraries_2020.2.254/windows/compiler/include)

I get to see three omp related files : omp.h, omp_lib.h, omp-tools.h and I search them for word "pragma" but interestingly nothing found there. 

so, I started following your suggestion and tried to different permutations. If I try __pragma it seems like compiler is doing its job sort halfway because I get to see the warning "warning #161: unrecognized #pragma" so I guess the compiler was able to to inject the #pragma omp stuff but yet cannot understand the pragma directives ... 

So I guess my best bet is to try and find pragma omp syntax that sits well with icl. It is weird because I adhere to OpenMP 3.0 spec and the code compiles file on two other compilers (QtMinGW and Texas Instrument C6X compilers )

I will keep updating this thread until I found a resolution. Anyway! Let me know if you have other valuable comments.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The other thing I can't figure out is that I CANNOT compile the code using /qopenmp as suggested by ICC Reference and Guide (the compiler prints a warning and complains it is unrecognized option), however icl.exe doesn't warn if I use -openmp which is really weird and NOT inline with the reference.

Same happens if I try [/-]qstd=c99 or [/-]std=c++0x, however this time icl still complains if I use -std intead of -qstd. Maybe I use the wrong compiler, though I am pretty sure I am using the one provided by "Intel System Studio" under C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\sw_dev_tools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.2.254\windows\compiler.

I would appreciate if you share your thought on this too.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

SUCCESS ... thanks to you I tried different permutations. It turns out I should use __pragma instead of _Pragma (as used by gcc) and ICC doesn't need the omp construct to be quoted ... so the correct syntax for ICC (icl.exe) must be like below:

#define OMP_PARALLEL __pragma(omp parallel)
#define OMP_FOR __pragma(omp for)

as opposed to below define which is applicable to gcc based compilers (including MinGW, Texas Instrument C6X compiler)

#define OMP_PARALLEL _Pragma("omp parallel")
#define OMP_FOR _Pragma("omp for")

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Glad to hear you got it working.

I assume you figured out to use

/Qopenmp

as opposed to

/qopenmp

By the way

__pragma

is a compiler keyword. IOW you will not find a declaration for it in any header file. You potentially find a use, but the likelihood is small as #pragma is more compatible across vendors.

Jim Dempsey

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Looks like your issue got resolved. If you don't have any other issues can we close this thread?

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Fully answered, Feel free to close the thread.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the confirmation. We are closing this issue, please raise a new thread for any further issue.

Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos