Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

How to call fortran code from C++

compila
Beginner
I've got a bunch of 3rd party *.f fortran code with some useful functions.
How to call these functions from C++?
How to generate C++ headers for these fortran functions?
Can I be sure, that such a call will be valid both on 32 an 64 bit systems?
Thanks!
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Use of the Fortran standard iso_c_binding facility requires functions be designated with extern "C" on the C++ side. If the Fortran functions were written without iso_c_binding (Fortran 2003), the declarations would require modification accordingly. This would assure working on a variety of systems, including 32- and 64-bit (but not mixing them). Normally, the run-time libraries provided with the Fortran compiler must be linked, and they must be compatible with the C++ system you have chosen.
iso_c_binding would be a prerequisite to an automatic tool for generating C prototypes, which seems possible although I've never seen one.
The legacy alternative to iso_c_binding requires extern "C" with the function names mangled to match the scheme used by the Fortran compiler.
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Also in the documentation of Intel Fortran Compiler for Linux, there is a section "Programming using Mixed Languages" under "Building Applications".

Jennifer
0 Kudos