Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

How to determine amount of RAM used by icc under Linux OS?

Artem_V_Intel
Employee
Hello,

Could you tell me please, how I can determine total icc or icpc memory consumption under Linux?

Thanks,
Art
0 Kudos
1 Solution
aazue
New Contributor I
Hello,

Could you tell me please, how I can determine total icc or icpc memory consumption under Linux?

Thanks,
Art
Hi
Easily you can use utility top to evaluate consumption in realtime
example:
top -d0 or d1 (see man several options)
Kind regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
joelkatz
Novice
Hello,

Thanks,
Art

You have to start by defining your terms. Do you mean physical memory or virtual memory? What about shared libraries used by more than once process?

Is your question more like "how much RAM is it using right this second"? Or is it more like "how much RAM did it need while it was running?".

It would be more helpful if you explained what you wanted to do with the information. That would make it easier to point you towards the information you actually do need.
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I
Hello,

Thanks,
Art
Hi
example:
Kind regards
0 Kudos
Artem_V_Intel
Employee
Quoting - joelkatz

You have to start by defining your terms. Do you mean physical memory or virtual memory? What about shared libraries used by more than once process?

Is your question more like "how much RAM is it using right this second"? Or is it more like "how much RAM did it need while it was running?".

It would be more helpful if you explained what you wanted to do with the information. That would make it easier to point you towards the information you actually do need.

Hello,

Thank you for your reasonable comments. I'll try to define my problem more precisely. For instance I has quad core machine with X GB of RAM and try to compile huge project using multiple compilation processes. I would like to know will swap be used during compilation or not. As a result, I'm interesting how many virtual memory one compilation process consume right this moment.

Thanks,
Art
0 Kudos
Artem_V_Intel
Employee
Quoting - bustaf
Hi
example:
Kind regards

Hello,

Thank you. Looks like it may help in my case. I'll try to use it. Anyway I would like to know if any other methods exist. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Art
0 Kudos
aazue
New Contributor I

Hi

To evaluate better possibility of your computer download an standard source Linux and after (./configure) for test make --job=8 and repeat with increase 10 ,15, 20 ext... In parallel with an other shell execute cat /proc/meminfo several times. to observe comportment of system.
Kind regards

0 Kudos
Artem_V_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I tried both methods and found that using top utility is more suitable for this purposes.

Thank you for help,

Art

0 Kudos