Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

How to force re-install on Linux machine?

ARCH_R_Intel
Employee

I'm trying to install the 14.0 beta (composer_xe_2013_sp1.0.051) just for me (not as root, not using sudo).  Unfortunately, I deleted an earlier install by removing the files by hand.  Evidently, there is a secret stash of information that the installer consults, because now when I run ./install.sh, the installer thinks that the compiler is already installed, and refuses to install it again. How can I force a re-install?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

He, he, he, it is nice to see the experts at Intel suffering the same maladies as us mere mortal programmers.

Maybe the install.sh has a clean option. If it doesn't it would be good to have (clean all except for *.LIC files).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
ARCH_R_Intel
Employee

I took your advice and reran the installer, and to my surprise it gave me the following options:

[plain]

This product is already installed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installation program has detected that at least one component of the product is
already installed. Select one of the following options to continue:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Modify the installation [default]
2. Repair the installation
3. Uninstall the product

[/plain]

and indeed selecting 2 fixed my problem.  I don't know what I did differently this time -- I don't recall seeing this set of options show up before.    I'll attribute it to the effect where a demo (in this case "demoing unsuccessful install") won't work when presented in public.  Thanks for your comment that prompted me to retry.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Take a look at a thread with a set of web-links: Forum Topic: Stale directories after component updates Web-link: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/393653 DIfferent users had similar problems during last 4 weeks.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Take a look at a thread with a set of web-links: Forum Topic: Stale directories after component updates Web-link: software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/393653 DIfferent users had similar problems during last 4 weeks.
0 Kudos
QIAOMIN_Q_
New Contributor I

Hi,

In order to get a clean install, i suggest first do the uninstall.sh to make the environment clean.

To uninstall the Intel compilers for Linux, the best and recommended method is to use the uninstall.sh script in the /bin directory under your compiler installation, typically /opt/intel/composer_xe_<version>.<update>.<build>/bin/uninstall.sh

And this link should be most helpful to you(http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/uninstall-intel-compiler-for-linux-when-uninstallsh-is-missing-or-not-functioning)

Thank you.
--
QIAOMINQ.
Intel Developer Support

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>In order to get a clean install, i suggest first do the uninstall.sh to make the environment clean. >> >>To uninstall the Intel compilers for Linux, the best and recommended method is to use the uninstall.sh script >>in the /bin directory under your compiler installation, >>typically /opt/intel/composer_xe_../bin/uninstall.sh If it really works than it needs to be described in Release Notes of Intel C++ compiler. During a couple of weeks users are dealing with similar problems and, as we can see, even Intel software engineers are complaining about issues and problems. A message to Installer team: You shouldn't test any longer our level of tolerance since it is pretty high. Please, fix it and describe it. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Beta compiler versions have some one-off idiosyncrasies in install and remove options. This thread has already mixed advice for current released compilers and beta compilers.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>;...Beta compiler versions have some one-off idiosyncrasies in install and remove options. This thread has already mixed advice for >>current released compilers and beta compilers... I suspect that all these installer issues have the same roots and problems spread from old versions to new ones.
0 Kudos