Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

How to get the Intel C/C++ Linux 12.0.4 compiler

Richard_H_
Beginner

I could use some assistance in figuring out how to purchase the Intel C/C++ Linux 12.0.4 compiler, which is no longer a current version. This is a requirement of some 3rd party software, not my choice.

The last version we bought was the 10.1 version (we have .012 and .021) from 2009'ish, so it's been a long time since we've had to upgrade.  It looks like the currently available version is "Intel® C++ Composer XE 2013" (which appears to be 13.x, except I also see a "XE 2013 SP1" which is 14.x)

I enquired with support, who directed me to https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/older-version-product, but that seems to assume that you have a serial number for a product currently under maintenance.

So would my path forward be to purchase "Intel® C++ Composer XE 2013", and *then* request an older version?

Thanks for any help.

--/Richard

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Yes, you need a license for a current version, or at least a license whose expiration date is prior to release of the compiler version you want. Having registered that license, you will have full access to all normally available prior versions.  It looks like you would have to take update 5, which ought to work the same as update 4, beyond some bug corrections.  The apparent disappearance of update 4 from the download site may indicate that problems were found with it.

When software specifies a certain version, it usually indicates that version has been tested with the application, not that a later version won't work.  As the 12.x versions of Intel C++ are off support, it's not a satisfactory situation for an application to specify them.  I guess the 13.x versions are likely to go off support during the course of this year.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi,
Tim's response is to the point. Nevertheless, I've passed on your question to our product marketing team and will update if there's any other comments or input outside of what Tim correctly responded, fyi.
Regards,
Kittur 

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Richard,
Yes, I confirmed with the product team that what was mentioned to you is correct. In summary:

"To get rights to any compiler, the customer must be current.  One way or another, the customer has to buy a license.  If it has been less than a year, customer can buy the low priced SSR.  If it’s more than a year but less than two, customer can buy the high-priced SSR.  If it’s over 2 years, the cheapest thing customer can do is buy a new license"

Hope the above helps

_Kittur

0 Kudos
Richard_H_
Beginner

Thanks for the information.  According to the phone support folks, you can't purchase via Intel with a purchase order (credit card only), so I was directed to go thru a reseller.  Since CDW is a reseller, I can get it from there, and it look like they actually are still selling the 12.x version anyway.

Yes, I'm well aware that it's highly likely that the later versions will work just fine, but quite frankly it's not worth my time to try it and figure that out.  We build software on top of all kinds of 3rd party software, and experience tells me that second guessing them is not productive ;-)  I completely agree it's a lousy situation, but I assure you it's quite common.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Yes, I agree with your opinion Richard and appreciate your understanding on this matter. -Kittur

0 Kudos