Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

How to specify installation directory for Parallel Studio XE 2019 on Linux

Tomushev__Misha
Beginner

I had installed Studio to a host that was supposed to join  existing cluster. install.sh picked the installation directory. It happened to be different, than installation directory used on other hosts. The "mpirun -hosts old-host1, old-hos2, new-host IMB-MPI1" hangs. Turns out all paricipating hosts have to have identical installation.
I was unable to find how to specify the installation directory.

I was unable to cleanly uninstall the previous the previous Studio version.
If a host had previous version of Studio installed, seem to affect the location of new installation.
I wanted to enable the default installation at /opt/intel, for that I wanted to clean up the host before running install.sh for new install.
Did "uninstall" option running install.sh, removed rpms, removed whole directories: sometimes it worked, other times not.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Viet_H_Intel

Not sure what happened in your ENV, but $sh install.sh should give you an option to specify any installation directory.

Thanks,

Viet

0 Kudos
Tomushev__Misha
Beginner

As you see, there is no option to specify installation directory.

[root@NARCH-R1-38 parallel_studio_xe_2019_cluster_edition]# $sh ./install.sh -h

This script installs Intel(R) Software Development Products.

Usage: install.sh [options]

-h, --help                      print this message
    -v, --version                   print version information
    -s, --silent [FILE]             run setup silently, with settings in the configuration file
    -d, --duplicate [FILE]          run setup interactively, record the user input into the 
                                    configuration file
    -l, --lang                      set user interface language
    -t, --tmp-dir [DIRECTORY]       set custom temporary folder
    -D, --download-dir [DIRECTORY]  set custom download folder
    --download_url [URL]            set custom download URL
    --user-mode                     run setup with current user privileges
    --ignore-signature              skip signature validation
    --ignore-cpu                    skip CPU model check
    --SHARED_INSTALL                install to a network-mounted drive or shared file system
                                    for multiple users
    --list_components               list available components

All provided paths must be absolute.

Copyright (C) 2006-2018 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Unfortunately installation is done by binary not a script... Can't even see what is it doing.

The wiered thing is installation on my hosts is done either on  /opt/intel (which is default and what I want) or  /home/mpi/intel/intel2017. The /home/mpi/intel/intel2017 was the place where previsous version on parallel studio was installed.
I had scrubbed the host the best I can, to make it forget the previous installation:

rm -rf /opt/intel
rm -rf /home/mpi/intel
rm_rpm_list.sh /mnt/scripts/ecn/rpm.list <--- this the content of rpm directory at the source installation
reboot

...But it persists on /home/mpi/intel/intel2017. Something tells installation that this is the place. What is it?

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Can you just run "$sh install.sh", hit Enter and follow the instructions? it will let you choose the install directory.

Thanks,

Viet

0 Kudos
Tomushev__Misha
Beginner

Attached is the log of installation. I did find the place where I could've specified the installation directory, but the installation would not allow me to change the default /home/mpi/intel/intel2017 because of some already installed component. How to find what is still installed and how to uninstall it?

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

There should be an uninstall.sh in /home/mpi/intel/intel2017. Run sh uninstall.sh first, then it should allow you to change installation dir later with 19.0.

See this link https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/uninstalling-intel-software-development-products-linux 

Thanks,

Viet

0 Kudos
Tomushev__Misha
Beginner

That directory is gone :-(. In any event, I was relying on instructions that stated that "install will detect and uninstall". Clearly there is a problem with the script.

However, I think I found a crude hack to scrub off the old setup: remove ALL "intel-*" rpms. That seams to work.

0 Kudos