Intel® C++ Compiler
Support and discussions for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
7568 Discussions

How to specify installation directory for Parallel Studio XE 2019 on Linux

Tomushev__Misha
Beginner

I had installed Studio to a host that was supposed to join  existing cluster. install.sh picked the installation directory. It happened to be different, than installation directory used on other hosts. The "mpirun -hosts old-host1, old-hos2, new-host IMB-MPI1" hangs. Turns out all paricipating hosts have to have identical installation.
I was unable to find how to specify the installation directory.

I was unable to cleanly uninstall the previous the previous Studio version.
If a host had previous version of Studio installed, seem to affect the location of new installation.
I wanted to enable the default installation at /opt/intel, for that I wanted to clean up the host before running install.sh for new install.
Did "uninstall" option running install.sh, removed rpms, removed whole directories: sometimes it worked, other times not.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Viet_H_Intel

Not sure what happened in your ENV, but $sh install.sh should give you an option to specify any installation directory.

Thanks,

Viet

Tomushev__Misha
Beginner

As you see, there is no option to specify installation directory.

[root@NARCH-R1-38 parallel_studio_xe_2019_cluster_edition]# $sh ./install.sh -h

This script installs Intel(R) Software Development Products.

Usage: install.sh [options]

-h, --help                      print this message
    -v, --version                   print version information
    -s, --silent [FILE]             run setup silently, with settings in the configuration file
    -d, --duplicate [FILE]          run setup interactively, record the user input into the 
                                    configuration file
    -l, --lang                      set user interface language
    -t, --tmp-dir [DIRECTORY]       set custom temporary folder
    -D, --download-dir [DIRECTORY]  set custom download folder
    --download_url [URL]            set custom download URL
    --user-mode                     run setup with current user privileges
    --ignore-signature              skip signature validation
    --ignore-cpu                    skip CPU model check
    --SHARED_INSTALL                install to a network-mounted drive or shared file system
                                    for multiple users
    --list_components               list available components

All provided paths must be absolute.

Copyright (C) 2006-2018 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Unfortunately installation is done by binary not a script... Can't even see what is it doing.

The wiered thing is installation on my hosts is done either on  /opt/intel (which is default and what I want) or  /home/mpi/intel/intel2017. The /home/mpi/intel/intel2017 was the place where previsous version on parallel studio was installed.
I had scrubbed the host the best I can, to make it forget the previous installation:

rm -rf /opt/intel
rm -rf /home/mpi/intel
rm_rpm_list.sh /mnt/scripts/ecn/rpm.list <--- this the content of rpm directory at the source installation
reboot

...But it persists on /home/mpi/intel/intel2017. Something tells installation that this is the place. What is it?

Viet_H_Intel

Can you just run "$sh install.sh", hit Enter and follow the instructions? it will let you choose the install directory.

Thanks,

Viet

Tomushev__Misha
Beginner

Attached is the log of installation. I did find the place where I could've specified the installation directory, but the installation would not allow me to change the default /home/mpi/intel/intel2017 because of some already installed component. How to find what is still installed and how to uninstall it?

Viet_H_Intel

There should be an uninstall.sh in /home/mpi/intel/intel2017. Run sh uninstall.sh first, then it should allow you to change installation dir later with 19.0.

See this link https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/uninstalling-intel-software-development-products-linux 

Thanks,

Viet

Tomushev__Misha
Beginner

That directory is gone :-(. In any event, I was relying on instructions that stated that "install will detect and uninstall". Clearly there is a problem with the script.

However, I think I found a crude hack to scrub off the old setup: remove ALL "intel-*" rpms. That seams to work.